SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
British Land Speed Record Car
Posted by: Jeff Theobald (IP Logged)
Date: December 06, 2008 01:51AM

On the day of this very first test run it was very cold and damp day. The burners were on low fire, on the short road beside the workshop 17 mph was achieved on the first trial run.
The steam issuing from behind the cockpit comes from the change over valves, as steam is diverted from the turbine to the venting tubes at the rear of the car, it was an excellent performance, with everything working as it should.

As soon as the weather permits a test will be carried out at the local airfield, possibly next week, I hope to be there and will keep you all posted with news as I get it.

I have just loaded a better quality video, have a look here……….. [www.steamcar.net]

All the best, Jeff.

Re: British Land Speed Record Car
Date: April 01, 2009 04:37PM

Hi All,

What an exciting day, the car made two runs, accelerating under difficult conditions, using a track that required the driver Don Wales to dog leg around poor surface conditions, (See video on front page [http://www.steamcar.net]) the car still managed 72mph on the first run and 80.8 mph on the second run, Telemetry computer readouts indicated steam temperature at 300C – 572F and pressure at 507.6 psi.
The crew and all involved were overjoyed.

All the best, Jeff.

Posted by: kobusali (IP Logged)
Date: April 02, 2009 07:39PM

Good evening Jeff,

I was at Verneukpan last week and saw the track that was used by Malcolm Campbell in 1929. Awesome place! Is this where you will be bringing the car to?

Best regards, Kobus

Date: April 03, 2009 07:59AM

Hi Kobus,

I understand that the test carried out this week were the last test being done here in the UK, the team are satisfied with the cars performance, and according to their press release this is where they hope to run.....

"We are making positive progress with our application to attempt the record at Edwards Air Force Base in California. The Air Force Base covers nearly 308,000 acres, Edwards is located in the Mojave Desert, adjacent to the largest dry lakebed in North America, Rogers Dry Lakebed. They have experienced a particularly wet winter and we could be waiting some time for the lakebed to dry."

As you can see in the video, Don Wales the driver had to weave to avoid the bad road surface accelerating to 80 plus in the last part of the run where the road was good, it was all very impressive, all of us from the Steam Car Club wish them good luck, all the best, Jeff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.