SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Non-Standard Screw Threads
Posted by: mdsbob (IP Logged)
Date: February 14, 2009 08:19PM

Trying to compile a list of non standard threads on Stanley 740 Condensing Cars. So far, the brake rods with 3/8-20 and the low water cut-off disk with 1/4-30.
Does anyone have others to add to the list?
Thanks,
Bob

Re: Non-Standard Screw Threads
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: February 15, 2009 02:02PM

I am suprised you look for ANY standard on Stanley,,At least they used a std tyre size,,haha,This info could be a good reference,,,but Vol I to Vol ?,,,,They even changed the cylender cover from 14 to 12 tpi
,,on same dia,, After the war of the states,,,there was a lot of surplus tooling on auction, for cheep,,no doubt they took advantage of these old std sizes,,,,,Wentworth Instatute in Boston was a MAJOR proponent of STD threads,,A friend of mine says Indian Co had bought old reamers,,buy a LOT,,,and every 10 years ,,sent them out to be sharpend,,and at which time , all the sizes on their motocycle shafts got ,010 smaller,,,,I thought Mack McConney was kidding til I worked on some of these machines,,He had opend a n Indian shop in Everett ,Ma in 1917,,and was active sponsor at Daytona til at least 1970,, 1/4-24 was a common size,used on Harley for years,,IF<<<IF,,,you work on PUMP stuff,,,watch out for 1/2" X 11 1/2 tpi,,,haha,,another traditional std,,DiD anyone get that reality check from the past,,??? Dont forget the Left handed stuff,,, Cheers Ben

Date: February 15, 2009 08:04PM

Thanks for your comments Ben...Just found another one to add. The guide/support rods on the Low Water Cut-Off (LWCO) 5/16-20. Seems like Stanley liked 20 tpi.

Posted by: 19114 (IP Logged)
Date: February 25, 2009 01:26AM

Bob,
Had to make new nuts to attach my rear wheel hubs to the axles. 7/8" 18tpi.
Also slide valve nuts were 3/8" 18tpi.

Larry

Posted by: Ron Schroeder (IP Logged)
Date: April 12, 2009 03:49AM

Found several instances of 5/16 20 tpi on my 735. The various valves with 5/16 spindles (or needles if you will) have this thread, as are the screws that hold the housing for the generator drive on the diferential housing.
By the way, I was advised by David Nergard that taps and dies for this thread were available from MSC Industrial supply (mscdirect.com). They indeed had them in stock and shipped promptly

Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: April 12, 2009 12:19PM

MSC were the very best to do business with,,wey back when I first orderd from them in 1968,,AND among the first to have a pleasantly working computer,,NOT common in those days,,A buisness run the way you wish ALL businesses were run,,,Dont forget they stock thread files and left hand thread too,,,Cheers Ben

Posted by: jsb (IP Logged)
Date: May 06, 2009 03:22PM

I have been working on a 1908 EX engine for a display. The eccentric strap screws are 1/4-30 and the main engine frame rods are 5/8-20. MSC had everything except the 1/4-30 tap.

Posted by: John Buscher (IP Logged)
Date: May 06, 2009 05:17PM

Travers Tool Co. has 1/4-30, taps; taper 14-016-301, plug 14-016-302 and bottom 14-016-303, but not the dies.
<www.travers.com

John

Date: May 07, 2009 05:42PM

Another source for the 1/4-30 tap (and other non standard taps/dies) is Hermans
[www.hermanscentral.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.