SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
1925 Stanley Hydraulic Brake Cylinder Needed (Front Right)
Posted by: Don Hoke (IP Logged)
Date: April 12, 2009 06:19PM

Can anyone help me find an early Lockheed-Wagner Hydraulic Brake Cylinder (right side) for a 1925 Stanley?

They were also used on Chryslers and Stutz and Davis among other cars.

I have a broken right cylinder. Here are some pictures of exactly what I am looking for.

I've heard a rumor that Carl Aimsley scavanged a 1925 SV in Southern Califormia about 30 years ago. Does anyone know anything about that car? Did he get the brakes? Were they at his auction in the 1990s. Any help greatly appreciated.

Yes, I'll buy an entire Chrysler/Stutz/Davis front end to get the parts I need.

Yes, I'll buy an entire Chrysler/Stutz/Davis rear end to have extra parts (the cylinders are different on the front and rear).

Does anyone have an original manual for these brakes?

I'll add a second post with two more pictures.

Thanks for your help!

Don Hoke
(972) 661-9672

Wanted: Parts for 1924 Stanley Model 750 and 1925 Stanley Model SV 252. We buy steam car parts and literature. Visit the virtual steam car museum at www.virtualsteamcarmuseum.org.

For all your steam car needs, visit www.vintagesteamproducts.com.

Attachments: DSC_6685 SMALL.JPG (152.1KB)   SV 25007 Front Brake Rebuilding (12) SMALL.jpg (106.4KB)  
Re: 1925 Stanley Hydraulic Brake Cylinder Needed (Front Right)
Date: April 12, 2009 06:21PM

More 1925 Stanley Lockheed-Wagner Hydraulic Brake Pictures.

Thanks for any help!

Don Hoke

Wanted: Parts for 1924 Stanley Model 750 and 1925 Stanley Model SV 252. We buy steam car parts and literature. Visit the virtual steam car museum at www.virtualsteamcarmuseum.org.

Attachments: DSC_6714 small.JPG (175.6KB)  
More Stanley Hydraulic Brake Photos
Date: April 12, 2009 06:23PM

More 1925 Stanley Lockheed-Wagner Hydraulic Brake Pictures.

Thanks for any help!

Don Hoke

Attachments: DSC_6714 small.JPG (175.6KB)   DSC_6711 SMALL.JPG (113.1KB)  
Re: More Stanley Hydraulic Brake Photos
Posted by: mike clark (IP Logged)
Date: April 13, 2009 07:16PM

Don,

Have you thought of having it repaired if you fail to find a spare?

Either braze or weld the lug back and then have the cylinder sleeved to ensure that the bore is true. You would need to use a welder experienced in such things to avoid making it brittle by using proper pre-heat and slow cooling. In the UK there are firms who advertise a re-sleeving service to recover rusted cylinders and no doubt you have them too.

I imagine the break was caused by bolting it up tight to a distorted mounting bracket so that needs looking at as well. In any case you will need to see that the four lugs present a common flat face to the bracket.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2009 07:20PM by mike clark.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.