SteamGazette
2 Steamboats :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steamboat topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Favorite places to steam?
Posted by: Bart Smaalders (IP Logged)
Date: November 14, 2001 05:19AM

<HTML>Some of mine:

Wheeler, Oregon - beautiful spot on the Nehalam river. Steaming downriver to the
river bar and feeling the ocean swell
start to lift the boat while steaming
past curious sea lions was amazing.

San Juan Islands, WA - some pretty open
water, but lots of fun - you can have a
real destination here - there's many
miles of cruising.

Victoria, BC. There's nothing like steaming
around the inner harbour at night - the
Empress Hotel is all lit up, as is the
Parliment Building, and there's always a
crowd watching the street performers.

Donner Lake, CA. Listening to one's
steam whistles, sirens, etc, echoing off
the surrounding cliffs is lots of fun.
A bit crowded on nice days... the Donner
Party Mueseum at the east end of the Lake
is worth a visit.</HTML>

<b>Re: More favorite places to steam!</b>
Posted by: JW (IP Logged)
Date: November 21, 2001 06:49PM

<HTML>Lake Bucannan in the Texas Hill Country is a peaceful meandering cruise along the interesting cliff-lined shores. The chime whistle on the Scripps 40 ft sternwheeler really bellows a long echo along the cliffs in some of the inlets. This lake can really change personalities when a strong blow rises with a storm.

The Straits of Vallejo, or the Mare Island Sound Northeast San Francisco Bay, has been a very interesting cruise. The East side is lined with marinas, a Park, A catamaran commuter ferry to San Francisco, and home dock for a diesel powered sternwheeler party boat, formerly The Peteluma Queen. The west shore, maybe 150 yards across the water, is Mare Island Shipyard with lots of interesting stuff to look over. Lots of history here. Many a steam engine came from these old shops. Submarines were also built here, and parts of hulls are still visable on the docks. The place is still loaded with equipment and some work is still done there by private companies. Best stay back 50 feet as the signs all say, especially these days when everybody is on the watch for Omar's boys, diaper hats or not.

Anyone that has been to the Sacramento River Delta Meet will know well the unbeatable moonlight cruises up the narrow Georgianna Slough to OxBow.

I really enjoyed the 6 hour cruise on the worlds largest steam toy "Jeremiah O'Brien" This restored liberty ship has 2 catered cruises a year with Big Band entertainment. They put on a good feed with plenty of beer. You get a closeup of Alcatraz on the way out the Golden Gate to the edge of the open sea. More Alcatraz on the way up to the Carquinez Staights for a whistle dual with the local lighthouse operator. Another pass by Angel Island and Alcatraz for a run up the Oakland Estuary, past the Alameda Naval Air Station, and then back to the dock in South SF. All this manuevering is made possible with the aid of a tractor tug that accompanies the ship. She spins the O'Brien on it's keel in about 2 minutes or less with no sense of motion at all. If you are below when this happens you never know it. But you gotta spend an hour in the engine room. The big tripple is a real sight at three stories tall. There are lots steam powered auxillaries to examine up close too.

More Later-

JW

</HTML>

Re: More favorite places to steam!
Posted by: Ron Parola (IP Logged)
Date: December 09, 2001 11:24PM

<HTML>The O'Brien cruise is great!, but Damn they gotta move the DIESEL genset off the deck and maybe put in a hold, WAY to noisey!</HTML>

Re: Favorite places to steam?
Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: December 28, 2001 03:09AM

<HTML>One of my favorite places to steam is the "Willows" area of the Sacramento River Delta. This area was introduced to me by Jerry Blain of the SL Shenandoah. It was an easy slow cruse and the riverbanks make you think that you will encounter Rhinos, Gators , or Hippos at the next turn.

<a href="http://steamgazette.com/phorum-3.3/profile.php4?f=2&id=2">Bart Smaalders</a> wrote:
>
> Some of mine:
>
> Wheeler, Oregon - beautiful spot on the Nehalam river.
> Steaming downriver to the
> river bar and feeling the ocean swell
> start to lift the boat while steaming
> past curious sea lions was amazing.
>
> San Juan Islands, WA - some pretty open
> water, but lots of fun - you can have a
> real destination here - there's many
> miles of cruising.
>
> Victoria, BC. There's nothing like steaming
> around the inner harbour at night - the
> Empress Hotel is all lit up, as is the
> Parliment Building, and there's always a
> crowd watching the street performers.
>
> Donner Lake, CA. Listening to one's
> steam whistles, sirens, etc, echoing off
> the surrounding cliffs is lots of fun.
> A bit crowded on nice days... the Donner
> Party Mueseum at the east end of the Lake
> is worth a visit.</HTML>

Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: December 28, 2001 03:16AM

<HTML>Bart is right! This is the best lake to try out your new steam powered Siren or Whistle. Late one night.. without running lights....we exchanged "Grade Crossings" with the freight engine and 7 "Helpers" crossing the Sierras. What a Treat! (Don't let the 427ci Ford powered Sheriff boat find your location)</HTML>

Posted by: Myles Twete (IP Logged)
Date: May 13, 2002 02:56AM

<HTML>Still limited in my exposure to various places, but I did enjoy steaming in Nanaimo, BC at last year's NWSS steamboat meet.
I'm looking forward to steaming in the San Juan Islands this summer at McConnell island.

-Myles Twete, SL Oly
Portland, Or.</HTML>

Posted by: Terry Williams (IP Logged)
Date: July 19, 2002 12:37PM

<HTML>I haven't steamboated at Donner, but can attest to the others that Bart mentioned.

I do like Klamath Lake in Oregon. Right after the snow melts and before the weeds get too bad.

If you get to my neck of the woods (Norhteastern Washington), I can also recommend:

1)The Pend Oreille River from Boundary dam on the Canadian border south to Metaline Falls. Some of the most beautiful scenery you will find. Good ramp but the water drops in the evening. Going through the falls area is not recommended, they take jet boats through there though. I went through there with Sprite one day(and still remember every detail).

2)Lake Roosevelt on the Columbia River. Big boating water with pretty good rainbow and walleye fishing. Many good boat ramps.

3)Little Pend Oreille Lakes. A chain of 4 lakes with good trout fishing. Boat ramp at the FS campground on Lake Gillette.

4) Sullivan lake. A deep (over 300 feet) lake 3 miles long with very clear water. North American record Brown Trout came from here. Boat ramps at each end at Forest Service campgrounds.</HTML>

Posted by: Wes Harcourt (IP Logged)
Date: May 04, 2003 11:17PM

<HTML>LAKE TAHOE CALIFORNIA. One of the deepest (1,000ft+) and clearest fresh water alpine lakes in the world. Few CG patrols for you to look out for, Emerald Bay "whistle testing" area, and beautiful mountain scenery.

Largest marina on the lake is the Keys Marina in South Lake Tahoe with launch ramp, boat lift, and good (expensive) eats @ the Fresh Ketch.

We gotta set up a propper meet here guys... the criscraft guys get use of a great portion of the marina for their yearly "show" i dont know the price they pay but i could look into it.

Lemme know what you think.

WEs</HTML>

Posted by: Jerry Blain (IP Logged)
Date: October 03, 2005 03:18AM

<HTML>Three places come to mind as my favorite places to steam.

The first is the Sacramento Delta. Each Sept. a large group attends a meet at the B&W Resort located on Brannon Island Road, Rio Vista, California. Even Jessie James of Monster Garage attended the 2005 meet.

Second choice has to be the Klamouth, Oregon meet usually held each Fathers Day weekend in June. After June, the weeds take over the lake making it nearly impossible to navigate. I can not think of a better place to celebrate Fathers Day than on Klamouth Lake in my Sl Shenadoah with full steam! What a sight it is to see those steamers going round the bend.

Last, but not least, is Donner Lake, California. It might be a small lake but the sound of my steam whistle & steam siren echoing off those mountain peaks is awesome. July is an ideal time to hold a meet on Donner as the weather is warm and the sky is clear.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.