SteamGazette
2 Steamboats :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steamboat topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Steam Sirens for Sale
Posted by: Jerry Blain (IP Logged)
Date: October 03, 2005 03:28AM

<HTML>I have steam sirens for sale. The sounding mechanism is an identical copy of a U.S. Navy siren. It is scaled down to be used on small live steam marine crafts. It has the centrifugal brake system just like the Navy's sirens. The main sounding device is constructed of brass and oil impregnated bearings. The outside housing is alum. with a black anodized finish. This was done to keep the weight down. The weight is approximately 5 1/2 pounds. The horn is cast red bronze. The pipe size is 1/2 NPT. The main body is 4 inches in diameter. The overall height is 11 1/4 inches. I am a tool and die maker and have been making different sized steam sirens, whistles & steam engines for many years at Blain Siren & Whistle Works, Los Gatos, Ca. I have had this siren mounted on my 27.5 foot steam launch ( SL Shenadoah). It sounds great. It is suitable for use on any small nautical craft such as steamboats & launches. It requires very little steam volume to activate. The normal working pressure is from 100 to 200 PSI. It also sounds great on compressed air. It should be suitable on Stanley Steamers but I have not had a chance to test it on steam cars. Pictures of my steam launch can be seen at [oldtimetech.com]
Please feel free to E-mail any questions concerning a steam siren at steamit@pacbell.net</HTML>

Re: Steam Sirens for Sale
Posted by: Adam Auditori (IP Logged)
Date: October 28, 2005 10:06PM

<HTML>I am interested in buying a steam siren for our steam waggon 200 psi. what price are they can you send me a better image of one, are you able to send the sound.

cheers adam</HTML>

Posted by: mike condax (IP Logged)
Date: December 11, 2005 09:33PM

<HTML>please send information on your steam sirens that you produce for sale. i am interested in the photos of the siren on the steam launch. this boat bears a striking resemblence to a boat i knew as "santa cruz" late of the west coast and now residing in new hampshire as the "carrie jean", i am confused because i thought your boat was named "shenandoah". is this all a coincidence or am i just terribly confused. thanks, mike.</HTML>

Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: December 22, 2005 05:31AM

<HTML>Mike.
The "Santa Cruz ll" was traded for a 1910 Stanley and now resides in New Hampshire at the farm of A. Blazick and cruises New England Lakes.
There were originally 7 of these 27.5' hulls pulled from the original mold made in B. Leutza's back yard here in Santa Cruz California. Jerry was part of the building process. I also have one of these hulls on the SL Narragansett. We all live within 30 minutes of each other and A. Amerian has one (SL San Joquin) about an hour away. One more is in the Sierras, one in Florida and i don't know about the other two. By the way I have one of the Blain sirens and it's my favorite

Dick Vennerbeck,

SL Narragansett</HTML>

Posted by: mike condax (IP Logged)
Date: January 06, 2006 05:00AM

<HTML>dick,
thanks for the clarification of the hull question. it makes clear to me what a small community we steamboaters occupy. i am not a computer literate person, it only took me 3 weeks to realize that the answer to my question might appear here rather than in my email box. i am glad to hear that the blain siren is your favorite, i think it could be my favorite too, just how do i contact mr. blaine? i tried emailing him at the address shown and have not heard a reply, though it is quite possible that the reply i seek is somewhwere on this website. i will keep trying. mike</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.