SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Halloween and steaming
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: October 22, 2011 08:53PM

Today I took out our 1914 Stanley Model 606 and drove it to a Halloween farm fair where they had the cider press going, pumpkins, fall vegetables and also it was a farm craft fair. The roadster was running strong and it enjoyed being outside in the fall air. I had recently been tuning everything for maximum performance and it was showing it today. The last thing that I did was to clean my Baker burner. In September, I was in a dust storm in Yakima, WA and the dust plugged up my burner to where it couldn't pass all of the fuel/air that I was putting to it. With the main fuel vaporizer cable pulled out, the branch fork jets removed, and about three minutes with the steam enema going full tilt, the burner plate was cleared of all restrictions. On the way home there is about a quarter mile long hill at about 12% that I have to climb. While driving along at about 50 mph on the level, my neighbor's new Chevrolet Sonic following me closely behind. While approaching the hill I had both pumps on so that I could bypass water while climbing the hill. I let the Chevrolet pass by because he didn't want to follow an old car up the hill. As soon as we both hit the bottom of the hill, I had full steam pressure, the burner was on and I was bypassing my water. Try as hard as he could, the small Chevy could not climb the hill any faster than me and I ended up tail gating him all of the way up the hill. All of us were impressed. I followed him to his house and we both had a good laugh over the hill climb experience. Check out the photos.

Attachments: 1914 Stanley Halloween 2011.jpg (156.1KB)   1914 Stanley 2011 fall tour.JPG (150.2KB)  
Re: Halloween and steaming
Posted by: JW (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2011 12:03AM

Ah, sweet story Pat. Is that the same farm we visited on the Hot Fog Tour?
Your roadster always runs well.
Now, please comment on your evaporating equipment. Those are enormous venturi for a 10 HP burner/boiler.

Re: Halloween and steaming
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2011 06:36AM

Dear John. On the Hot Fog Tour we visited Reminger Farms, located just south of Monroe, WA. The Farm that I visited today with the Stanley was Bellville Feed Supply having a Burlington address. Our car has a 10 HP engine but the rest of it under the hood is all 20 hp. The burner is a Baker Burner built by Alan Kelso. I am very happy with it. The flares on the mixing tubes add about 10% more air to the kerosene mix. On the hills, the car makes more steam than it can use. That is because the 10 hp engine doesn't have enough displacement and also enough horse power to go fast enough to use the steam all up. On the flat ground with it geared 40 to 56, it can use up all the steam that you can pour to it. 60 to 65 is as fast as it can go with the top up. Lower the top and lay back the windshield and then you can add another 5 mph to its speed. Art Hart's model 70 could just barely pull me on the hills but on the level, he could not get away from me. It was fun touring with Art. We all miss him. I learned a lot from Art, and from Carl Amsley, and from Fran Duveneck too. They are all gone now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.