SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Cruban Engine Rebuild
Posted by: Mike Wahl (IP Logged)
Date: February 20, 2012 03:58AM

Cruban Engine Rebuild

It has been a few years since I brought home my Cruban Chassis. I have finished a few other steam related project I had going, and a few weeks ago we begin the rebuild of the engine. We have the engine disassembled and are reviewing the condition of the engine.

We sent the engine to a CO2 blaster to have it cleaned up. It was a process I wanted to try. It did a very nice job of removing the dirt and loose rust. It cleaned up the brass and aluminum parts very well. The only thing it doesn’t do is remove the rust; however it also doesn’t leave behind blasting media. Overall I am happy with the outcome. I have included a few pictures showing the results on the aluminum,brass and cast block.

The engine has 5 roller bearings on the crank shaft. 2 of them have removable inner races and the other three have the races machined into the crank shaft. The outer races are removable and the rollers are loose rollers. 3 of the bearing use ¾ x ¾, 15 in each and the other 2 use 7/8 x 7/8 roller, 15 of each. I have included a photo showing the crankshaft and parts including the haring bone drive gear.

I have spent a good deal of time reviewing old post about roller bearings. I was wondering if someone had found a source that would sell this small of quantity of roller bearings. I have also given thought about making these. I am wondering if others have made their own rollers and what process you used. I am also wondering if the ends need to be hardened.

Mike

Attachments: IMG_1433_2.jpg (31.1KB)   IMG_1430_2.jpg (33.3KB)   Disassembled crankshaft-reduced.jpg (108.6KB)  
Re: Cruban Engine Rebuild
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: February 20, 2012 02:12PM

Is the crank case hardend,,??
How are the crank bearing tracks ??
If you grind the crank,,,you'll need to adjust the clearence,,
larger bearing rollers,,or smaller outer race,,See I knew you knew that,,but the others might not see it yet,,
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how much need be taken off crank to clean???
and watch those radii,,,
VERRY interesting engine,,,Ben

Re: Cruban Engine Rebuild
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: February 21, 2012 06:35PM

Mike
Take a few of the rollers and have the harness checked. Then look at high speed tooled dowel pins. They run around C60 for hardness. You can cut them to length with a cutoff grinder.
Or you can just make some and send them out to be hardened and grounded.
Rolly

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.