SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Tube Bending
Posted by: Mike Bennett (IP Logged)
Date: August 16, 2002 07:03PM

<HTML>Anyone out there know where to get CERROBEND cheap and in small quantities? Or is there a better way to bend .750 X .035 wall 321SS seamless tube to a 16in radius?
Thanks,
Mike</HTML>

Re: Tube Bending
Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: August 16, 2002 08:17PM

<HTML>In my work with air compressors when a tight bend had to be made, to avoid kinks, I would melt lead and fill the tube, bend it and melt the lead back out. This I have only done with copper up to 3/4 inch OD. Don't know how it would work on heavier stiffer tube.

Peter Heid</HTML>

Posted by: Terry Williams (IP Logged)
Date: August 16, 2002 08:31PM

<HTML>Are you haveing trouble? A 16 inch radius is not very tight for 3/4" tubing.</HTML>

Posted by: Pat Farrell (IP Logged)
Date: August 17, 2002 02:29AM

<HTML>When I bent my 3/4" Schedule 40 stainless pipe into a 10" radius for my Stanley superheater, I filled the pipe tightly with sand and plugged both ends. When I bent it, it took a lot of strength but it came out perfect. I have made three of these so far for three different cars and I have been pleased with all of them. Don't forget to clean all the sand out!</HTML>

Posted by: Brian Drake (IP Logged)
Date: August 17, 2002 06:45AM

<HTML>You might try asking the folks at [bbs.homeshopmachinist.net] It's a machinist message board and I've found them to be a pretty friendly and helpful bunch.</HTML>

Posted by: ABAYOUMI (IP Logged)
Date: July 29, 2004 08:40PM

<HTML>

<a href="http://steamgazette.com/phorum-3.3/profile.php4?f=1&id=27">Terry Williams</a> wrote:
>
> Are you haveing trouble? A 16 inch radius is not very
> tight for 3/4" tubing.</HTML>

Posted by: Dennis Ribbons (IP Logged)
Date: November 05, 2004 07:36AM

<HTML>Anyone having trouble getting hold of cerrobend in small quantities please get in touch. I supply Bendalloy which is the direct equivalent of cerobend and is the British name for it.
Regards Dennis Ribbons</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.