SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Fuel system piping
Posted by: Jeff Brown (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2013 01:45AM

Could someone who knows about these things post a sketch of how the fuel system is piped on a non condensing car that has been retrofitted with a pilot tank. What has me puzzled is how the air pressure is created before firing up as the cars I have looked at do not seem to have a fuel hand pump. I have seen a schraeder (sp?) type air valve on the lid of the pilot tank which is presumably used to pressurize the pilot tank - does this also pressurize the air tank for the main fuel? Once the engine is running, I presume the fuel pump keeps the pressure up in the main fuel air tank but what about the pilot tank? As you see, confusion reigns so any clarification appreciated! Am just about to make the filler lid for my pilot tank and need to know if I should fit an air valve.

Jeff

Re: Fuel system piping
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2013 09:45AM

Jeff
When you use a separate fuel system for the pilot it’s just one tank with air over fuel.
Works best if there is one third fuel and two-thirds air. On my 1920 I ran the pilot fuel tank at thirty to forty Lb air pressure. You modulate the pilot burner with the valve. As you use fuel the pressure drops in the tank and you need to add more air pressure.
A good pilot will burn nicely with just 20 to 25 psi.
On my little EX, I use a Watts pressure reducing valve off the main fuel system. It’s set at 30 PSI, but by the time the pressurized fuel gets to the pilot burner it’s down to around 20 psi.

Attachments: Fuel system modified .jpg (68.9KB)  
Date: October 27, 2013 03:50PM

Thanks Rolly, with the pilot tank independent, that makes a lot more sense. How often would you need to pump up more air pressure in the pilot tank I wonder?

Your diagram certainly simplifies things. The one thing that still has me puzzled is that I don't think I have ever seen a hand fuel pump on any of the cars I have looked at. I presume that is only for start up to get the initial pressure in the tanks before the power pump takes over when running.

I've never driven a steam car so forgive the questions! Boats. locomotives and traction engines I can handle but this is a whole different beast!

Jeff

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2013 05:17PM

A pilot tank will use about 1 gallon of fuel in 24 hours for the pilot light. A half full three gallon pilot tank would only need air added once a day. A near full pilot tank will need air added after a couple of hours depending on how full the tank was to start with. The hand pump handle is removable. When in place, the hand pump handle resides in the middle of the floor board between the driver and the passenger. The hand pump is usually only needed for when the car is stationary, and it is being used for raising the fuel pressure for steaming up. There is a water hand wheel valve that can be turned on to provide water to the water side of the hand pump. When not hand water pumping, the water hand wheel valve is in the off position. The water side of the hand pump is used when additional water is needed to be added to the boiler. The water pump side of the hand pump is very seldom used. The water hand pump side is very handy to use for hydro-statically testing your boiler.

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2013 06:10PM

Jeff
They all have a hand pump for both water and fuel. One direction is water the other direction is fuel. On the condensing car the handle is stored on a bracket just below the top of the front seat. Most of the non-condensing cars that I see the handle is left in place, but is removable.
Rolly

Attachments: Pump 1908 - 1909.jpg (75.8KB)  
Date: October 27, 2013 06:25PM

Thanks guys, I have the two hand pumps but I thought they were both for water, didn't occur to me that one could be for fuel. The Stanleys were sure economical on pumps! All becomes clear!!

Jeff

Posted by: Kelly (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2013 09:02PM

The hand fuel pump is the same size as the hand water pump because when you're pumping by hand, you want a lot of fuel with just a few motions. The power fuel pump is smaller because in motion, it doesn't take nearly as much continuous supply to run the burner.

Kelly

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.