SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
First Post: Pilot Question - Baker Burner
Posted by: jschoenly (IP Logged)
Date: December 17, 2013 05:44PM

Hello All. First post (and cross posted on SACA), but I'm sure not the last. I'm just starting to be able to get into the Stanley world now and collecting parts and pieces. I used to help out once in a while and had run Tom Ackermann's 740 during a tour or 2. I'm working on getting a car of my own now. One to question on a burner I picked up:

Is this a Maxwell pilot if I read correctly? Is the jet actually inside at the 180 bend rather than external like a Stanley pilot? I picked up this burner recently and will do some clean up (even thought it's already very clean!) in prep for a test firing. I figure it's cold outside, what's more fun than a big fireball using the Stanley ways!

Any additional comments/suggestions on this pilot as well as Baker Burners in general would be appreciated.

For those that may recognize the last name... My father and I are the creators/promoters of Cabin Fever Expo in York, PA. We've had interests in pretty much all areas of things mechanical from tractors, hit & miss engines, 1 1/2" scale trains, machines, cars and everything in between. I'm slowing becoming able to now dabble in the Stanley world which I really plan on focusing. I've always loved these cars and looking forward to my own!

Jared Schoenly

Attachments: 20131216_215512.jpg (301.5KB)   20131216_215521.jpg (349KB)   20131216_215607.jpg (213.2KB)   20131216_215631.jpg (132.6KB)  
Re: First Post: Pilot Question - Baker Burner
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: December 17, 2013 07:52PM

You do have a Maxwell Pilot that uses a # 50 Coleman stove vaporizer. The jet is located inside the pilot at the end of the vaporizer. Your Baker Burner is set up nicely and it is a credit to the craftsman who built it. I have used several different types of burners and pilots and your set up is the best thing going that I have ever used in my 29 years of driving Stanleys. It has been stated before that the Baker burner puts out 30% more BTU than the Stanley drilled burner does. I haven't done the measurements,but I agree, the Baker burner is a hot one.

Posted by: Kelly (IP Logged)
Date: December 18, 2013 03:12PM

SSsssteamer, what is your experience with the sound level of the Baker? I rode behind one that howled 100% of the time, hot or not, all the time it was firing. For my personal taste, it drove me nuts - but can they be set up to not do that?

Kelly

Date: December 18, 2013 03:51PM

Dear Kelly, The Baker burner howls more than a Stanley drilled type burner. Just like the Stanley burner, the howling can be eliminated by reducing your fuel pressure, or by just using smaller jets. All burners howl, even the White steam car burners. All burners are more prone to howl while used in cool, damp air. After the burner has had time to warm up and while used in warm dry air, there shouldn't be much noticeable howl. I prefer to hear a little howl as it tells me that the burner is still firing well. For a maximum firing rate, a healthy howl will assure you that you are getting the maximum heat out of your burner. I agree, a loud howl is a terrible thing to listen to.

Posted by: jschoenly (IP Logged)
Date: December 18, 2013 05:59PM

Great info, thanks you much! Couple more curiosities:

I read you were making some new Maxwell's. Are castings/plans available and from who?

For these baker burners, What fuel pressure do you end up running normally?

Also, what fuels are you running now, pilot and main? I know a lot of people run/ran hexane on the pilot and kerosene, but also heard these pilots were pretty forgiving on pump gas even. Also heard main fuel as a diesel/gas mix and different preferences. Just curious.

This burner looks to be built very well and in excellent condition. The gentleman I bought it from said it was hotter than his liking and that was the only reason he removed it and went back to a Stanley style burner. I was really lucky and he practically gave it to me. Planning to fix/drill out a broken fitting in the vaporizer, clean the cable (hopefully it comes out without too much trouble) and test fire it once. Should be fun on a cold day!

Jared

Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: December 18, 2013 08:54PM

For whatever reason,,,,the slotted burner on my Black Vanderbilt
very rarely hoots,,OR howls,,so much so it is almost impossible to tell if its lit or not,,
Dave Nergaard and I both like QUIET steamers,,,This was unedited and off the
cuff,,,The goggles solution is a good step too I think,,CB

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2013 09:01PM by Ben.

Date: December 18, 2013 09:19PM

From Alan Kelso I purchased the Maxwell pilot castings, and I purchased them already slotted. Off of eBay I purchased the Coleman Stove vaporizers. I used one of my Maxwell pilots as a blue print to build the new pilots off of. The new Maxwell pilots were built up as spares for our five Stanleys in our collection. I run my main fuel pressure at 140# and my pilot fuel pressure at 15#. I like to use Coleman fuel as it is readly available and I never have had a problem with it. I shop around and I have been able to buy Coleman fuel for $4/gallon. Usually as close-outs from sporting good stores going out of business. Main fuel I usually run 100% kerosene. If I cannot get it on the road, I will settle for a mixture of 25% diesel and 75% gasoline. The biggest problem that I have seen that the Baker burner has is with it's larger mixing tubes, the Baker burner hangs much lower than the drilled Stanley burner does. Thus, often there is a clearance issue with the front axle while using the Baker Burner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.