SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Replicating Stanley 10hp steel brake drums
Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: January 21, 2019 12:29PM

Has anyone ever made replicas of steel brake drums for 10hp Stanleys? I know many people fit cast iron drums now, but I have been advised that with the thin wall section on the original drums, CI drums would have to be thicker.

The original drums on my Model 607 are wearing, brake performance with modern linings is adequate, so not keen to alter things more than necessary.

Re: Replicating Stanley 10hp steel brake drums
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: January 21, 2019 03:32PM

True, the thicker cast iron drums require additional room for the thicker brake drum. The only modification that I did was to grind enough away from the inside brake shoe at the cam to allow for the smaller inside diameter of the new cast iron drums. If ever needed, the amount of metal that was removed from the brake shoe can be replaced with welding. After the modification was made, except for better braking, there is absolutely no visual indication that the new cast iron drums are anything different that the original steel drums. I have a 1909 Kissel Kar that has had new steel drums made for it. The previous owner fabricated the new drums out of steel pipe and capped the ends with steel plate. The drums work as they should but lack the finished look of the original drums. The biggest problem with the steel drums is that after being turned true, they were quite a bit out of balance. If I live long enough, I will make new cast iron drums for our Kissel Kar too.

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: January 22, 2019 10:59PM

Yes Peter I have made new ductal iron cast drums for my EX, first for the original wood spoked wheels and again for the spoked wire wheels.
Rolly
[www.stanleysteamers.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2019 11:02PM by Rolly.

Date: January 22, 2019 11:04PM

Yes Peter I have made new ductal iron cast drums for my EX, first for the original wood spoked wheels and again for the spoked wire wheels.
Rolly

Date: January 23, 2019 03:11PM

I found my drawings of the spoked wire wheel hubs.
Rolly

Attachments: B.jpg (78.1KB)   C.jpg (146.8KB)   P6050005.JPG (848.8KB)   P9270006.JPG (850.5KB)  
Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: January 23, 2019 10:11PM

Thank you Rolly, superlative information as always...just had the original drums tidied up, will last another season or two so thinking about replacements now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.