SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Unknown Steam Racer
Posted by: Mike Bennett (IP Logged)
Date: September 15, 2002 02:53PM

<HTML>I have recently aquired a copy of a film that includes Bonneville racing somewhere around 1953. In this footage is a steam car in the pits, up on jack stands, steam blowing and rear weels turning! The car looks like it might be a stretched Kurtis Indy racer. At the very rear is, what looks like, a monotube boiler about three feet in diameter by three feet tall. The engine is a horizontal two piston (looks like dual action) just forward of the boiler. The man working on the vehicle looks like he woud be just as much at home on a steam train, suspender bib overalls and greasy rag in rear pocket. There is no information other than these images.
Does anyone out there know who built/owned this car, how fast it went, what became of the car?</HTML>

Re: Unknown Steam Racer
Posted by: Terry Williams (IP Logged)
Date: September 15, 2002 05:44PM

<HTML>Sounds like Ford Walters' car.</HTML>

Posted by: jim reed (IP Logged)
Date: September 15, 2002 06:30PM

<HTML>I agree. It sounds like the Walter's car. I have some info on it that Mark Stacey sent me. If you want a copy let me know. Jim Reed</HTML>

Posted by: Mike Bennett (IP Logged)
Date: September 15, 2002 07:21PM

<HTML>Jim,
I would very much like the info! Ironically, I just saw a post on steamstuff by Mark Stacey looking for info on the Walters car. If the info is not emailable then contact me and I'll send my snail address.
Regards and thanks,
Mike</HTML>

Posted by: Graeme Vagg (IP Logged)
Date: October 06, 2002 12:26PM

<HTML>I have seen articles including pictures of the Ford Walters car that fits that description. I looked through one batch of magazines tonight but could not find the information I was looking for. The first trial was not very successful and some additional work was planned. I would need to find all the articles to give a better answer than that so I will keep an eye out for them.</HTML>

Posted by: Mark Stacey (IP Logged)
Date: October 06, 2002 05:51PM

<HTML>If anyone wants the copies from the originals, I can snail mail them direct, just drop me an email.
Jim's were photo copies I took from Light Steam power and Popular Sciene magazine.
Sorry I'm late responding to this thread I've been occupied with my new toy, a CNC mill.
Cheers
Mark Stacey</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.