SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
BRYAN BOILERS
Posted by: Rich Landry (IP Logged)
Date: September 30, 2002 10:57PM

<HTML>Looking for information from anyone who has worked on Bryan Boilers for their Cars or Tractors. We are in process of retubing the boiler of a 1922 Tractor. Looking for any hints to do the best work. Thanks !!</HTML>

Re: BRYAN BOILERS
Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2002 10:05AM

<HTML>Rich,
I believe the Bryan Company made up some new tubes for Al Reynold's Bryan automobile a number of years back---they are still a very viable company.</HTML>

Posted by: Rolly Evans (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2002 11:42AM

<HTML>There is a company in Pennsylvania, (I think that is the state) which bends pipe with a CNC machine. They bent the tubes for my water tube boiler. They supplied the bent tubes cheaper then we could buy the pipe.
If I remember correctly the Bryan tubes for the tractor have a lot of return bends and each bend is rolled 45 degrees left & right to each other. They are not like the tube configuration they use today.</HTML>

Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2002 01:43PM

<HTML>Rich
The late David Sarlin bought a brand new Bryan boiler when building his 40' Tule Princess about 10 years ago. They are still in business I believe. It had unique pairs of tubes that are held against the drum with a bolt and can be replaced individually. I think they make their industrial boilers the same as they did for their tractors.</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2002 01:53PM

<HTML>Rich/Rolly
That is true that the modern Bryan tubes are not "stepped" as in the old days but Bryan Corp. was very willing to duplicate the old tubes to my knowledge---they are just harder to do. In previous discussions with the company believe they are willing and interested to help with the older "historic" boilers. The old configuration may have been more efficient in convective heat transfer as well, as you discovered with your commercial Bryan boiler, Rolly, is that it had quite high flue temperatures at high firing rates. As you can do CADCAM is it worth a try to make a cross sectional drawing of both types to determine the spacings parallel and perpendicular to gas flow to give a reference as to gas pass area and heat transfer efficiency??
Best, George</HTML>

Date: October 01, 2002 02:36PM

<HTML>Dick the new boilers have a different tube configuration then the old tractor boilers
You can see the new type on my website, I have a Bryan 300 PSI 15 HP boiler in my 35 foot steamboat.
[ourworld.cs.com]
George the tractor has a lot more rows of tube over the burner then my boiler.</HTML>

Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2002 02:38PM

<HTML>My copy of Bryan tractor sales literature says they are easy to change and implied that each can be removed! Who knows what that means after a few decades? Good Luck!</HTML>

Date: October 01, 2002 02:56PM

<HTML>Howard the Bryan tubes have tapered ends on the ends of the tubes. They look like no more then 1-1/2 degrees. They just are hammered into the drum. The boiler comes with a set of tools to pull them out. It looks like a tool you would use to pull the tie rod ends out from your front end. The newer boilers have a stud between the tubs and a plate to hold three tubes in place. Must be a liability issue.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.