SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
23 Roadster windshield frame
Posted by: Mike Larson (IP Logged)
Date: October 26, 2002 04:13PM

<HTML>I am with a vocational school in Ohio. We are restoring a 1923 740 Roadster. We are in need of a windshield frame. Ours was chopped down at some point. Does anybody know of one that si available? Your help is appreciated. Thanks. Mike L.</HTML>

Re: 23 Roadster windshield frame
Date: October 26, 2002 04:15PM

<HTML>I must mention the 23 Roadster is a Stanley............but you knew that. Mike L.</HTML>

Posted by: c benson (IP Logged)
Date: October 26, 2002 04:51PM

<HTML>Ok,,Its choped down,,,,Is there any part of it still there???Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: October 26, 2002 08:10PM

<HTML>Ben:
Yes, some still remains. In it's current state it is a one piece windshield 4-5 inches shorter than it should be. We have all the components. The side supports have been cut and brazed back together. A couple of the top bows have been cut down as well. It would be hard to tell if you did not know it should be a two piece windshield. I spoke with a previous owners son who told me his father had the "chop job" done in the 1940's. Thanks for your input. Mike L.</HTML>

Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2002 03:03PM

<HTML>I have the remains of a windshield up in the loft somewhere, frames but no glass. Any use?</HTML>

Date: October 27, 2002 05:39PM

<HTML>David:
What we have is the base that mounts to the cowl (seems to be fine) Cast side supports that have had a section of 4-5 inches cut out of them.( Too short!) And no remains of the flip out portion. If you have pieces that would fill in the blanks I am interested. Would you mind getting what you have out of the loft and sending me a scan? Thanks so much. Mike L.</HTML>

Posted by: Pat Farrell (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2002 08:33PM

<HTML>Mike, It helps if the windshield frame you find is for a open model 740 instead of a open model 735. The bottom half of the 740 has a much higher arch over the cowl than that of the 735.</HTML>

Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: October 28, 2002 01:08AM

<HTML>Mike,
It may be a lot of pushups but your shop could replicate the missing sections and braze them back in. I'm not sure if yours are plated or brite brass. Plating will cover the color differences. Brite....well just polish it to a "fare thee well" and no one will notice at first glance. There are also folks around making reproductions. Someone in this Phorum will know a name or number.
Good Luck on a Great project.
Dick</HTML>

Posted by: c benson (IP Logged)
Date: October 28, 2002 10:17AM

<HTML>Could someone comment on weather the frame and brakets were painted originally,,,I cant recall,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Pat Farrell (IP Logged)
Date: October 28, 2002 02:28PM

<HTML>They were originally all painted for both the models 735 and the 740.</HTML>

Posted by: D.Morgan (IP Logged)
Date: October 31, 2002 01:04PM

<HTML>Hi
David was you able to find the frame in the loft?

If so please let us know.

If anyone else has as one or piece's to it, please let us know.

Dave
L.C.J.V.S</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.