SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Displacement Oiler
Posted by: Harry Hibler (IP Logged)
Date: November 25, 2002 04:54AM

<HTML>My dad is fabricating a displacement oiler for 1900 Locomobile. The small tube inside oilers I have looked at appears to be about 1/16 O.D. but I have not had the opportunity to measure one to determine the inside diameter.
Can someone provide tube size and possible sources?

Thanks,
Harry</HTML>

Re: Displacement Oiler
Posted by: Rolly Evans (IP Logged)
Date: November 25, 2002 12:11PM

<HTML>Harry
I’ve built and used a lot of hydrostatic lubricators over the years and the only critical part is to use a good needle valve to control the oil out. You can get just about any small lengths of any type of tube you want from McMaster-Carr 732-329-3200
Rolly</HTML>

Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: November 25, 2002 11:58PM

<HTML>Harry,
Rolly's correct. You can make a succesful displacement lubricator out of pipe fittings and a needle valve. An easy source for tubing is any hobby shop that carries airplane stuff. You can pick up a nice piece of any size brass tubing 1/4" or under for less than two bucks. They usually have a display of telescoping sizes both square and round.
Dick</HTML>

Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: November 26, 2002 04:54PM

<HTML>As far as I know, the original Locomobile lubricator used a normal 1/8 pipe and a needle valve, connecting to the bottom of the oil reservoir. See Don Ball's "Geneology of the Locomobile", available from the Stanley Museum.</HTML>

Posted by: MIKE NEWMAN (IP Logged)
Date: June 22, 2004 09:22PM

<HTML>HI ,

I AM WORKING WITH A LOGGING MUSEUM THAT JUST GOT A SHAY LOCOMOTIVE AND I HEARD THE MENTION THAT THE HYDROSTATIC OILER IS MISSING. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION YOU COULD GIVE ME TO ONE HELP ME UNDERSTAND IT AND TWO FIND AN ORIGINAL ONE.
THANKS MIKE NEWMAN</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.