SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Solid Fuels
Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: January 03, 2003 08:13PM

<HTML>I have just received a CD rom of 52 US patents for pellet and corn fired stoves. I have just briefly viewed its almost 600 pages and find it of interest for the consideration of a solid fueled boiler with reasonably responsive controls. I found it on ebay for about 10 bux and recomend it for anyone considering solid fuels.

Peter Heid</HTML>

Re: Solid Fuels
Posted by: Caleb Ramsby (IP Logged)
Date: January 12, 2003 09:23PM

<HTML>Peter,

Last night I finished my second forge and tested it with some pellet fuel. The fuel was compressed oak sawdust, at about 8,000 btu. It didn't work for my blacksmithing so I had to switch to some solid wood. Although, it is a VERY CLEAN burning fuel.

It takes it a little bit to burn off the binder and other stuff, just leaving the carbon. When the carbon is left it is still in little pellets and burn's great. When I would agitate the fuel with the iron I would stick in, it would break up the coals and produce a LOT of sparks. Not condusive to blacksmithing.

I believe that an under fed sytem would be very suitable for a boiler. Utilizing an auger system to deliver the fuel into the bottem of the fire box. With the raw fuel comming under the fire the gases would be burnt up in the fire as they passes through. It burnt very clean and when I fed it the proper amount of air(I am using a hand cranked blower from a dryer that I rigged up). The fire pot I made is 10" x 10" x 5". Resembling a down side up pyramid. I also installed a vortex inducer directly under the firepot from an oil burner(house).

I designed the hood of my forge to include a heat exchanger for the intake air. I have not fabricated this part of the forge as of yet. This is so I can have a point of referance without the heat exchanger.

With the hand powered air delivery, I am able to create a flame of 4" - 3' high with about a 5# pile of fuel. I must mention that along with the 3' high flame there is a torent of sparks and "valcanoes" of white hot coals. It is fun though!

I have as of yet to try corn kernals, but when I do I will post my results.

What is the name of that you mentioned? I am interisted in getting one.

Caleb Ramsby</HTML>

Date: January 15, 2003 02:48PM

<HTML>Caleb,</HTML>

Date: January 15, 2003 02:50PM

<HTML>Caleb,

The title of the CD is "Pellet and Corn Stove Patent Collection". I would imagine there are many copies for sale on Ebay

Peter Heid</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.