SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
STEAM BIKE
Posted by: EARL C. LEAVEY (IP Logged)
Date: January 06, 2003 01:49PM

Re: STEAM BIKE
Posted by: Fergus Dunlop (IP Logged)
Date: January 06, 2003 04:44PM

<HTML>Nicely done Earl ! Do you intend making a few more of these for sale?
Water tube boiler I presume?

Curious, Fergus</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: January 06, 2003 05:58PM

<HTML>Earl,
The workmanship and detail on your steam tricycle is very exceptional, absolutely one in a million! So 26mph and 5 miles on one pound of dry horse manure, just love the horsehead icon on the bike. The quality of your work sets me back a bit, your photos are a joy to look at. What is bicycle #2 going to be? Corn kernals would be an ideal fuel with 10,000BYU's per pound, if I may ask an impertinant question what is the heating value of dried horse manure---it seriously could have merit in poor countries that have little fuel.
Congrats, George</HTML>

Date: January 06, 2003 06:03PM

<HTML>HI! FERGUS, I DIDN'T BUILD THIS STEAM BIKE , ITS EARL VAUGHN'S DEVELOPEMENT. CONTACT- E-MAIL gpselect@aol.com . MY THOUGHT IS THAT THE STEAM BIKE WOULD BE A GREAT PROJECT FOR THE STEAM AUTO CLUB MEMBERS, IF PLANS AND SOURCES OF SUPPLY WERE AVAILABLE. PUT STEAM AUTOMATICS AND LIQUID FUEL AND THIS WOULD BE A MINIATURE STANLEY STEAMER. MOST OF US ARE NOT GOING TO OWN A STANLEY. JUST A THOUGHT, EARL</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: January 06, 2003 07:32PM

<HTML>Earl,
Sorry that I also mistook that Earl for you, it is a most beautiful work of art in the pictures. A few of us are working on steam bicycles as they are easy to experiment with and it would be very hard to match such perfection in construction.
Have been out shoveling snow for 4 hours/snowing again/ and my tired and demented mind was thinking of a methane powered bike, self propelled---have been eating a lot of fiery hot chili the last three days to keep warm and could sit on a sealed bicycle seat and fire a burner, I had better reread the thread on light backs before progressing with such a bizarre idea as that daydream could be a very painful experience.
Thanks, George</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: January 06, 2003 08:19PM

<HTML>Earl,

That is a beautiful piece of work and so practical. I would have to rate it as A+. I was wondering a couple things, what does it weigh and how is the fire controlled.

Peter Heid</HTML>

Date: January 06, 2003 09:51PM

<HTML>GEORGE , I HAVE THE PLANS FOR THE VESUVIUS STEAM BIKE OF THE 1970'S. THE ENGINE WAS A SINGLE CYL. DOUBLE ACTING 1 3/8 X 1 1/2 WITH FRICTION DRIVE,90-100 LB. STEAM. THE COMPLETE ENGINE AND BOILER POWER UNIT WERE FRONT WHEEL MOUNTED AND WEIGHT WAS 38LB. THE VAUGHN ENGINE IS A 2 CYL. OSCILLATING 1 3/8 X 1 15/16 WITH WORKING PRESSURE 85 LB. THE VESUVIUS HAD A TOP SPEED OF 16 MILES PER HOUR AND THIS BIKE GOES 26 AT 1/2 THROTTLE. I WAS WONDERING IF THE TINY POWER #103 ENGINE WOULD BE THE CORRECT SIZE FOR A THREE WHEELER www.tinypower.com THE SUBJECT OF METHANE GAS I READ ABOUT DURING THE 70'S GAS RATIONING. THEY WERE TALKING OF USING IT FOR AUTO FUEL. CHECK OUT GOOGLE AND YAHOO SEARCH ENGINE FOR THIS RESOURCE METHANE HYDRATE . LARGE RESOURCE, BUT CONSIDED GREEN HOUSE GAS PROBLEM. THINKING STEAM, EARL</HTML>

Date: January 06, 2003 10:07PM

<HTML>PETER H., DIRECT QUESTIONS TO EARL VAUGHN. E-MAIL gpselect.com . I ONLY FOUND THIS LINK SURFING THE INTERNET , AND THOUGHT THOSE ON THE MESSAGE BOARD WOULD BE INTERESTED. THANKS, EARL EARL</HTML>

Posted by: Terry Williams (IP Logged)
Date: January 07, 2003 12:23AM

<HTML>Looks a little difficult to fire.</HTML>

Posted by: chuk williams (IP Logged)
Date: January 08, 2003 04:16PM

<HTML>Hi All--

I just talked to Mr Earl Vaughn, the builder of the aforementioned
bike, we had a great conversation about his many steam projects and
he gave me a few of the specs on the bike;

Bore and Stroke- 1-3/8X3 inch

Bike Weight--160 lbs.

Boiler-Fire Tube, 7X23 inches

Top Speed-Approx 25 mph

Price "Today"!-$4500+SHIP

Contact him directly; 318-640-4854

Cheers---Chuk</HTML>

Posted by: Brian Drake (IP Logged)
Date: January 08, 2003 07:32PM

<HTML>I e-mailed the address on the site to see if plans were available, but the response I got back was: Hello Brian,

Sorry, the steam powered bike was built by a local craftsman.

His name is Earl Vaughn and the bike is the second of two built by him.

Thanks,

Bill
Internet Services
Select® Motor Co.

Which is sort of a non-answer I suppose. Would be nice if Earl was selling the plans, since I could afford those more easily than the bike.</HTML>

Posted by: dampfwilli (IP Logged)
Date: February 10, 2003 12:46PM

<HTML>Friends, i have pics of a french steamtricyle. Its very nice and fast. I cant bring pics to this forum, but all interested on pics send me a mail and i send the pics direct. ( i am normally a traction engine and marine engine builder and not at this forum).
Greetings from the Alsace (part of Frace along the Rhine River)

dampfwilli , the German in France</HTML>

Posted by: dampfwilli (IP Logged)
Date: June 14, 2003 04:58PM

<HTML>In the March i offered pics of a french steambike and had some feedback. A guy from Florida was very interested. When i remember correct this guy build Motocycles to break a record. I have now new pics of a steambike from the Netherlands (nice construction)and can send this to all , but you must send me a mail.
I would send this pics direct to all interested peopl, but i hac a hard disc crash and lost all my e-mail adressses.
Greetings from the Alsace (part of France along the Rhine -River)
dampfwilli
the german in France</HTML>

Posted by: james (IP Logged)
Date: November 24, 2004 05:24PM

<HTML>i am just wondering if anyone knows where i can get the cylinders for the engine?</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.