SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
1918 Stanley History?
Posted by: Eric Gleason (IP Logged)
Date: February 01, 2003 02:59AM

<HTML>Hi,
About a year ago I bought a 1918 Stanley from Al Bowers in Tennessee. It is in pretty good shape and I have just, in the last month or so, started to get it steaming. Still have a few hurdles to leap but nothing too difficult I hope. Anyway, I was interested to know if anyone knows any of the earlier history of the car. Mr Bowers stated that he had purchased it from another gentleman in Tennessee but that it had come from L. E. Pamphilon of the Washington DC area. He was active in the AACA. I also saw in an old Live Steam Mag. (1952) a short article on the 1951 Veteran Motor Car Club of America steam car meet in Wellesley Mass.. A 1919 Model 735 described as "a fine car with a Cruban kerosene pilot and burner" owned by L. E. Pamphilon was in attendence. Could this be my car? It also has a Cruban pilot and burner as well as an old VMCC plate, an AACA plate and a dash tag that says National First Place winner. It is Number 18170. The car looks like an old restoration of a good original that was somewhat updated. Looks like the original upholstery and all. Thanks, Eric</HTML>

Re: 1918 Stanley History?
Posted by: Pat Farrell (IP Logged)
Date: February 01, 2003 01:38PM

<HTML>Dear Eric, It is your car that was in the 1952 Live Steam magazine. According to my 1957 Joint Club Register of Antique Cars published by the AACA, your 1918 Stanley model 735B 7 passenger touring, serial number 18170, was owned by L. Edward Pamphilon and he described it as fully restored at the time. SSsssteamer</HTML>

Re: 1918 Stanley History?
Posted by: Eric Gleason (IP Logged)
Date: February 17, 2003 02:27AM

<HTML>Thanks for the info Pat.
Does anyone know where Mr. Pamphilon got the car? At a used book store in LA I found an old back issue of the AACA mag that had an index in it and, to the best of my recollection, it had a listing for a story about a 1918 Stanley in one of the Volume 25 issues. Of course they did not have that particular issue so I could not look it up. Maybe it is a story about my car. Anyway, it seems to be steaming better these days, or perhaps more correctly, I seem to be finally figuring a few things out about it. Thanks, Eric</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.