SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
turbine
Posted by: jim reed (IP Logged)
Date: March 08, 2003 07:56PM

<HTML>I have been given a gas turbine engine that was used as a starter for a jet aircraft engine. It is about 7" in dia x 12" long and is rated at 75 hp. It has a built in gear reduction box with a sprag clutch on the output shaft. The output speed is a max of 3000 rpm. Originally the turbine was spun by a compressed air bottle. This had obivious shortcomings when the bottle ran out of air, hence the modification to convert it into a gas turbine. Does anyone know if it is possible to convert such a turbine to steam? I would like to use it on a motorcycle. Regards, Jim Reed</HTML>

Re: turbine
Posted by: Arnold Walker (IP Logged)
Date: March 09, 2003 02:28PM

<HTML>You got me puzzled.I thought a JFS100 was the only turbine with that slow of an output.Then ,its a free turbine not a single spool like you are talking.
Hp.sounds like a T62,but those turn over at 6000 rpm output.

What have you got?</HTML>

Date: March 09, 2003 02:53PM

<HTML>Oh, all most forgot. A gas turbine has more to do. With two roots blowers in tandem for steam expanders than conventional wisdom on low pressure steam turbine.Part of the reason for my interest in free turbines is to give variable expansion ratio.
Hope ,you know that the steam is going to need to be drier than piston.
Good Luck .......still on the learning curve myself.</HTML>

Date: March 09, 2003 03:34PM

<HTML>Did you check the exhaust temperature for the gas turbine?
Some of the newer models will expand the air thru the power turbine
far enorgh to drop the temperature from 1800 F.To about 300 F.
In other words, if that holds true on steam as well.......the exhaust is going to be mighty darn wet.

Judging from your turbine numbers
Assuming 200 PSI inlet
662 inlet temp.
7 lbs exhaust press.
You have on a wild guess ....
396 F. exhaust
22.12 lbs/hp.
3097 lbs/hr
140 hp.

Like I said this aircraft mechanic is still learning ,so all the numbers could be screwed up.</HTML>

Posted by: jim reed (IP Logged)
Date: March 09, 2003 05:08PM

<HTML>Arnold: Thanks for the input. I am a stone novice on any kind of turbine. I am only even considering this since the unit is free and the fellow giving it to me has about 40 years experience working with recip and jet military aircraft engines. He was involved on the engine end with Art Arfons Land Speed Record cars. His name is E. J. Potter. He is going up to Michigan to pick up the unit from his warehouse in a couple of weeks. He has a half dozen or so of different flavors. When I know exactly what I have I will get back with you. Regards, Jim</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.