SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
1900 stearns runabout
Posted by: Mike Kowal (IP Logged)
Date: April 01, 2003 09:18AM

<HTML>Hi Trying to get information on a 1900 stearns runabout.Built in Sycrause,New York..Between 1900 an 1903 by Edward Stearns that formed a company called Stearns Automible Co. Need pictures an or patent no's to do research on the car to put it back. It is a basketcace right now.</HTML>

Re: 1900 stearns runabout
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: April 01, 2003 01:51PM

<HTML>The 1900 Stearns automobile had a single cylinder internal combustion engine and up to 1901, aproximately 50 Stearns cars had been produced thus far. In 1912, Stearns merged with Stearns-Knight. The depression put an end to the company in 1929.</HTML>

Posted by: C Benson (IP Logged)
Date: April 01, 2003 06:54PM

<HTML> I believe there were 2 Sterns companys,,,,The steamer had reach rods that partly resembled a 2x4,, or a shafts from a heavy wagon gear,,NOT round,,,,,they also made a surry,,,,Some where I have a photo of Mr Farnsworths car,,his new car,,,his old loco sold to A O Smith ,as i recall and chain drive Stanley in background,,,The Sterns was a much heavier car,as I recall and priced at 2000 bucks,,,this from memory of ,,,,oh gosh when,,,,Farnsworth put a FULL cape top an / a windshield,,,, the top over most of full car, NOT at all like cars we have seen today,,,,His buddy A O Smith's car is pictured in John Bacon's book,,BUT is captioned incorectly as A A Smith,,,fording a stream[not Ford in stream,]haha,,Smith orderd parts almost daily to be sent ahead and fixed it when he caught up to the parts,,,it was hard pulling in spring mud,,,,,The newspaper is badly crumbled,from 1925 ,,,,xxxx,,,It IS here somewhere,,,,,,E C Sterns ,,,not to be confused w/ F B Sterns ,,,, Cheers Ben,,,,[still] in Maine,,</HTML>

Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: April 02, 2003 11:56AM

<HTML>There was a Stearns Steamer built using a patented compound engine. A reprint of the engine brochure is available from SACA Stores: item #186. I have some other sutff on it, will try to find it.</HTML>

Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: April 02, 2003 12:10PM

<HTML>See also "Horseless Age" vol. 8, #35,27 Nov. '01, pp. 748-9. I have a Xerograph of this article in my collection. If a copy of a copy will help, let me know.</HTML>

Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: April 02, 2003 05:15PM

<HTML>I will look at my original copies of Horseless Age to see if I have that one, and could also send a copy.</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: April 03, 2003 12:23AM

<HTML>You guys are real good at finding steam car information. I had better buy some better steam car books. Keep the info coming. SSsssteamer</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.