SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley Production in the UK
Posted by: Gordon Mclaughlin (IP Logged)
Date: July 01, 2003 09:18AM

<HTML>
I have been reading a book on early motoring by R. Scott-Moncrieff. In it, he describes the 1911 Motor Show at Olympia, London. He mentions that a Stanley steam car was exhibited and adds that these cars were already in licensed production in Gateshead on Tyne.

I can find no reference in local records to the production of Stanley cars in Gateshead. Does anyone know if this actually took place or if it was ever planned? If so, who was involved? I'd appreciate any information that anyone might have.

Gordon Mclaughlin</HTML>

Re: Stanley Production in the UK
Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: July 02, 2003 02:30PM

<HTML>Gordon

The motor car index from 1918 to 1929 published in England lists the Stanley as an American car. There is no indication that they were built there. The book actually lists the Stanley from 1909 to 1929 indicating they could not find records of importation for 1923 and 1924 is not mentioned. It is interesting to note that the 1925 to 1929 models were listed as having horizontal, double acting, 2 cylinder engines geared to the axle by face gearing. Also odd about the listing, they all are listed as 20 manufacturer horsepower except the 1922 engine which is listed as 16 hp. The 1918-21 engines had a bore and stroke of 102x127 mm and the 1922 model is listed as 100x125 mm. The serial numbers are listed from 1918-22 but none beyond that and the 20 hp engines were rated at 16.5 Treasury horsepower. The importer seems to have been listed as such: Branco (1920) LTD, Saint Nichols Street, Coventry.

Did any Stanleys actually make to England between 1925 and 1929 ? There are no records on numbers sold except by serial number and that field is blank for those years.

I have other books on automotive history and none seem to indicate Stanley manufacturing in England.

Peter Heid</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: July 03, 2003 08:14PM

<HTML>Galloways were the importers/agents for Stanleys in the UK - I am not sure if they were the sole agents - I was offered a 1904 Stanley CX which had been imported new via an agent in Manchester, UK, and our Model 607, car no 7644 may have been imported directly and not via Galloways.

For a full account of Galloways as Stanley importers see

Nails and Steam cars, by Mervyn Brown, The Veteran and Vintage Magazine, November 1963 Volume 8 No 3 page 78.

The Science Museum Lobrary in South Kensington, London has a copy, and could supply photocopies I am sure.</HTML>

Posted by: Gordon Mclaughlin (IP Logged)
Date: July 15, 2003 05:37PM

<HTML>Many thanks for your replies to my enquiry.

I think that chassis production in Gateshead is most unlikely and that the fitting of local bodies to imported chassis is far more probable.

There were various early attempts at building steam vehicles here but none seems to have reached quantity production although a number of them were built and ran as prototypes.

Thanks again for your help.

Gordon McLaughlin</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.