SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Questions about size of Lathe and Milling Machine
Posted by: Caleb Ramsby (IP Logged)
Date: July 03, 2003 04:34PM

<HTML>Hi all,

I live neer Rockford, Illinois, which at one time was the machine tool capital of America mabey even the World. Right now China is taking over the machine industry and sadly there are an abundance of lathes, milling machines and shapers that are for sale in my area. One guy who is in the industry said this is the best time to buy tools in the last 40 years!

So I am trying to figure out what size of machines I would need to make some good sized steam engines. Eventually around a 100 horse power engine for a modern steam tractor. I am looking at lathe sizes of around 15" x 50", would this be big enough? For a milling machine I am looking at 10" x 40", would this be big enough?

I will start by making some of Hasbrouck's and mabey Mike Brown's engines. Then move on to the bigger engines.

Thanks for any imput!

Caleb Ramsby</HTML>

Re: Questions about size of Lathe and Milling Machine
Posted by: Brian Drake (IP Logged)
Date: July 04, 2003 01:58AM

<HTML>Check with the folks here [bbs.homeshopmachinist.net]. It's a machinist board, and they'll be more than happy to help you. (Especially if you tell them where they can find some toys--er, tools cheap!)</HTML>

Re: Questions about size of Lathe and Milling Machine
Posted by: Caleb Ramsby (IP Logged)
Date: July 04, 2003 07:14PM

<HTML>Thanks Brian, I will ask around there.

Caleb Ramsby</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.