SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
burner tips
Posted by: Adam Walkup (IP Logged)
Date: July 07, 2003 09:31PM

<HTML>Does anyone know where to buy some burner tips for a Stanley. I'd like to try #57-#59, and I'd like to get some of the "Blazic" style with the little carbon filters.

Any advice???</HTML>

Re: burner tips
Posted by: Roland Evans (IP Logged)
Date: July 08, 2003 08:37PM

<HTML>Adam
Most of the guys I know make there own jets, but I’m sure Allen will sale you some.
Rolly</HTML>

Posted by: Howard Rnadall (IP Logged)
Date: July 09, 2003 10:15AM

<HTML>Hi Adam, just a thought that might help. I have an Ottoway burner on a 1910, 10HP. It uses Holley carburetor jets available from most speed shops in diff. sizes. I have never tried them in my Stanley style burner to see if the thread is compatible. If not, an adaptor could be easily made that could include the Blazic modification.</HTML>

Posted by: C Benson (IP Logged)
Date: July 09, 2003 11:13AM

<HTML>Different shapes of hole may change[ increase] the flow,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dont forget whats needed here is modulated flow over a wide pressure range ,,,to keep mixture constant , consistant,,,one of those words,,,,coffee ' bew'n Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: July 09, 2003 12:44PM

<HTML>Many Stanleys are fitted with Cruban burner forks, which are threaded 1/4-28. I use short 1/4-28 hex head cap screws to make my jets, drilling from the threaded end with a "large" drill , leaving about a tenth of an inch to be drilled with the jet size drill. I have a Cruban style chip catcher in the end of the vaporizor. It worked well for thirty years, but now the fuel is so crappy I have to clean it out every few hundred miles. With some "kerosene" these days I have had to clean the burner every twenty miles!</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: July 09, 2003 07:33PM

<HTML>I make my Blazick type jets by fist putting my 1/4"x 1/2" 28 tpi cap screw into the 1/4" collet on my lathe. I like using grade 5 cap screws. I use a small center drill to get the hole started and then I switch to the correct sized drill bit (i.e. #54 , large but is hot). I drill all the way through the cap screw with my jet sized drill bit. I next turn the cap screw around and mount it in a three jaw chuck in the lathe and I clean off just 1/4" of the leading threads to smooth. This can be done by dressing them with a mill file. Taking the jet to the drill press, I mount them in the drill press vise to drill two #54 holes 90 degrees to each other in the smoothed off formerly threaded area. I start the holes with the center drill again, (saves bits) and space them so they do not intersect each other but cross paths with the first jet hole that was drilled on the lathe. What you now have is a jet with 5 holes going in and one going out. If one of the five holes that goes in get's plugged with carbon, then the other four holes will still flow and the turbulence between the other holes with break apart the deposits. I go for months with out ever pricking my jets. After driving with them for 10 years, I had to finally drill them out to the same jet size again because of oxidation had downsized them and I was not getting a full flow through them. The Blazick type jet was accidentally discovered by Allen Blazick's brother in llaw, Steve Richter. He was making some jets one day and accidentally made them too long, and in the branch forks they dead ended and blocked the jets off. Rather than to shorten the threaded length, Steve cross drilled, intersecting the jet's original hole and then he used them. He was amazed that they didn't plug with carbon as they had done in the past and he has been making them like that since.</HTML>

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: July 10, 2003 10:03AM

<HTML>Pat
I also cross drill my jets. I made up a jig, a block that fits in the vice of the drill press. It has two-aliment hole for a # 60 bit so they are always centered at 90 ° to the jet. I slip the turned end of the jet in the hole of the jig, and the # 60 bit comes down through the hole and is always in the right place. Two rows around the turned end. I think Allen has three.
Rolly</HTML>

Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: July 10, 2003 01:00PM

<HTML>I think that the key to Allen's tips working well is that the side holes are smaller than the the main jet hole. His idea being that some of the side holes could be blocked and no junk big enough can get the the main jet to clog it. The multiple side holes still allow enough fuel to pass even when 50% of them may be blocked.
The main jet can be drilled from the front side in the lathe a stopped just short of going through the full length of the screw. An alternative method is to drill a larger hole from the threaded end of the screw and only leave about 20 thousandths to drill the small jet diameter. This saves trying to drill such a deep hole with a small drill. With this method you still add the side holes but you must plug the back of the mail through hole.
Dick</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.