SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Baker Uniflow
Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: July 09, 2003 12:18AM

<HTML>I have been compairing the reign of steam tractors to that of the steam auto and I found an interesting agricultural steam traction engine with a single cylinder uniflow engine. It seems Abner D. Baker, known for his variation on the hackworth valve gear used on locomotives, built steam tractors and they were offered with DA uniflow engines if desired. In 1927 there were 3 uniflow models: 19-65hp, 8 3/4 by 10.25 inch bore and stroke; 21-75hp, 9 1/4 by 10 inch bore and stroke; and the 23-90hp with a 10 inch bore and stroke. The long, outside admission piston valve intrigued me. The exhaust was through the center ring of ports and through the inlet port on the inside of the valve. This extra exhaust was to prevent excessive compression on the uniflow and as the piston valve moved slightly it would block the inlet and allow some compression before admission.</HTML>

Re: Baker Uniflow
Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: July 09, 2003 12:52PM

<HTML>See the Journal of the ASME for May 1917 for a paper on testing a Uniflow Baker, paper number 1584.</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: July 10, 2003 12:54PM

<HTML>Peter,
If you want to really examine a Baker steam tractor, go to the Ford Museum at Greenfield Village. They have a nice one, condensing too.
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: Terry Williams (IP Logged)
Date: July 10, 2003 02:13PM

<HTML>Jim,

Do you recall how they arranged for draft boost on this condensing tractor? I assume this is a solid fuel burner?</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: July 10, 2003 05:53PM

<HTML>Terry,
No, I do not recall; but it seems to me that somewhere I read that they used an engine driven blower. Not much else that they could use.
Jim</HTML>

Date: July 10, 2003 06:49PM

<HTML>The drawing of the Baker I have is said to be of the one in the Ford museum but it shows the engine exhaust going into the side of the fire box toward the chimney. I will look in my other tractor books to see, I think I have a actual printed photo.

Peter Heid</HTML>

Date: July 11, 2003 12:05PM

<HTML>I looked in my other book and I found a 1921 condensing Baker 16-30 hp tractor. It looks nothing like the 1927 uniflow, the 1927 has no condenser and is arranged like a regular traction engine. The picture of the 1921 shows a rear mounted boiler and engine with the stack back by the driver. It looks like the engine is below the boiler and I assume the draft on this cross compound tractor was engine driven because of its close proximity. It is interesting to note this vehicle had a mechanical stoker also.

Peter Heid</HTML>

Posted by: B.J. Vera (IP Logged)
Date: July 21, 2005 03:34AM

<HTML>Do you know what the value is on a Baker 19-65hp? Thank you.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.