SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
TOY STEAM CAR
Posted by: EARL C. LEAVEY (IP Logged)
Date: July 24, 2003 04:49PM

<HTML>WOW! THIS COULD BE A MINIATURE STANLEY STEAMER?[cgi.ebay.com];

Re: TOY STEAM CAR
Posted by: Jordan (IP Logged)
Date: July 25, 2003 12:06PM

<HTML>Anyone have any history? Looks VERY neat!</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: July 25, 2003 07:25PM

<HTML>Earl,
Neat "little " find, wonder if it actually works. Imagine how much time it must have taken to make. Maybe someone from SACA will buy it for their kid and will be entered in the time trials!!
How hot is it down there?
George</HTML>

Posted by: EARL C. LEAVEY (IP Logged)
Date: July 26, 2003 12:29AM

<HTML>GEORGE, THIS COULD OF BEEN A FACTORY MADE PRODUCT. THE TOY COMPANIES WERE PROBABLY MAKING MODELS OF THE CARS DURING THE EARLY 1900'S. I HAVE NO FURTHER INFO ON THIS ITEM. I KNOW ITS OFF TOPIC BUT, IT HAS RAINED HERE. THE SUMMER WEATHER IN LEESBURG FLORIDA AVERAGES 70 TO 90 DEGREES EVERYDAY WITH LATE AFTERNOON THUNDER SHOWS. I HAVE A UTILITY SOFTWARE PROGRAM THAT GIVES LOCAL WEATHER [www.weatherbug.com] THEY ARE TALKING OF A TROPICAL STORM FOR TOMORROW, MORE RAIN. EARL</HTML>

Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: July 28, 2003 01:43PM

<HTML>The little car does work. Goes like H….the owner says.
One possible source of this car is the late Horace Nichols of Freeport, Maine. Horace is the character “Virgil Jones”in Woodbury’s “Story of the Stanley Steamer. David Nergaard’s Stanley wire wheels came from Horace!

I know that he built at least two models very much like the one shown. My father owned both. The sale of both are part of my “trail of tears” of the many exciting steam things my father owned.

Horace’s first model, that father owned, went to Dr. Miller, of Conn., in the late 40’s /early 50’s. It could be this one. The second went to Tom Marshall, Sr., in Delaware.

I remember this latter car running on our living room rug, in front of the glass case holding Roper’s first steam motorcycle, now in the Smithsonian. George Eli Whitney was there and talking about Roper. I was behind the couch with a tape recorder. Those where the days! Still looking for the tape.

Horace never owned a lathe! The models were made with parts fabricated with drill press, file and hacksaw, but with good detail. The model shown reflects this handmade condition, but good detail of the Stanley engine. It does not appear to me as being commercially produced, but a one-off, hand built. It looks like a model of a Stanley EX. Horace owned an EX at the time of his untimely death on the NJ Turnpike, caused by a loose wheel from a trailer truck!</HTML>

Posted by: Dean Lehrke (IP Logged)
Date: August 11, 2005 12:30AM

<HTML>Wow, did you speak the magic words -WHITNEY- and -ROPER-? Please tell me more about your life and association with Whitney and the Roper steam motorcycle. Was there a guy named John Bacon that owned the Roper motorcycle at one time? And do you have a transcript of the tape of Whitney describing Roper? Please tell me more, Sylvester Roper is one of my heros!
Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you!

Dean Lehrke
Liberty KS
dampfwagen@hotmail.com</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.