SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
2003 SACANE meet
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: August 12, 2003 01:08AM

<HTML>Dear George, David and who ever else attended the 2003 SACANE meet. Please fill me and the rest of the world in on what we missed. What all steamers showed up and what activities took place?</HTML>

Re: 2003 SACANE meet
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: August 12, 2003 11:22AM

<HTML>SACA-NE held the August meeting in NH at a private home. Only about eight Steam cars showed up. Most members stayed for the weekend and had a one-day short tour around the area Saturday. Jerry Hackett’s Stanley bus was running and ten members without their cars got to go on the tour. Time trials were held on Sunday morning but do to the weather and so few cars staying for Sunday there was no competition. We do have pressure switches with electronic timing. My Stanley stayed home as my truck and trailer were stuck in the mud in the back yard. We have had a lot of rain this month. Over all a great weekend and a lot of fun. Good to see everyone.
Rolly</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: August 12, 2003 02:26PM

<HTML>SSssteamer,
I think you mean the open SACA meet our club had in June at the Powow Campgrounds. It was a smaller group this year as there was a big tour going on down south at the same time. This year we had only eight cars of which only a few went on the Saturday tour. Craig Standbridges Chevy S-10 had its new heavy wall 310 stainless cyclone firebox installed and it performed wonderfully. I like a car like that; get in, turn on the main switch and 5 minutes later go for a ride! Rumbles @ 6GPH a la Doble. Coburn Benson had his black Vanderbilt there and its performance awesome as usual. He gave everyone a ride and most enjoyable. Tom Kimmel gave a talk and Jerry Peoples was going to but the projector and screen he had asked for to do his presentation did not show up. Rod Teel came a long way with the Lamont boiler and his steamboat engine and we ran it for 3-4 hours. The new pressure switch worked perfectly and controlled lpressure between 380-400psig unless the throttle was suddenly closed and would rise to 420psig. Stack temperature ran between 420-440F and the little Lamont circulating pump ran merrily away on 5-6 amperes @12-13 volts. The pump never cavitated no matter what the load change was and the Lamont drum water level was very stable as well. The human manual control systems didn't work as well as talking and distractions allowed for the water bucket to go empty, the feedpump to get airbound, the checkvalve was not tight and the boiler had to be blown totally down to get the air out of the feedlpump. New check valve please! The 4GPH fire was absolutely clean and had no odor of kerosine.
Doble came up with a great thing when he designed the cyclone firebox. We missed Tony Gryzb's steam bike this year and all the others that went to the "down south" meet or were going to the meet/tour in Maine within the week. There was a 1901 Lane, a 1902 Stanley and a 1903 Grout, really neat to see the three cars lined up.
Maybe our SACA/NE newsletter will make it on the SACA website some day so all the pictures and information will be made available.
George</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: August 13, 2003 04:14AM

<HTML>Thank you for the up dates and both of your meets sounded like fun. Sorry to hear about all of your rain problems. We sure could use some of that rain in Washington state about now. Steamingly, Pat Farrell</HTML>

<b>Re: 2003 SACANE meet - Thanks George!</b>
Posted by: JW (IP Logged)
Date: August 18, 2003 03:13AM

<HTML>George- I am always happy to hear news about the Lamont. I am pleased that it is doing so well.

I have been fortunate to get to play with a Cyclone equipped Stanley lately, and the easy firing low rumble is a real pleasure.

Send me some Newsletter content w/pix and It will get posted here!

Thanks for the update, George-

JW</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.