SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Synthetic oil
Posted by: Kobus van Jaarsveld (IP Logged)
Date: August 17, 2003 05:53PM

<HTML>
I corresponded with Gerald Hackett about 18 months ago concerning the use of pure synthetic oil in Stanleys. He was using it successfully in his bus and I recently wanted to be in contact with him again but failed to do so because his e-mail address has apparently changed. Could someone please let me have his new address?

Also, what experience do readers of this forum have with the use of synthetic oil? Thanks, Kobus</HTML>

Re: Synthetic oil
Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: August 17, 2003 08:24PM

<HTML>Kubus,
He is at stanleybus@cox.net. He has had good luck with it.
George</HTML>

Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: August 20, 2003 09:54AM

<HTML>I think it is too soon to say whether Jerry is having good luck with the oil he uses. He has never checked his valves to see how they are wearing.</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: August 20, 2003 11:04AM

<HTML> That he has not had to repair the engine in the 3 or so years he has been using it speaks for itself. By the way we did look at the valve seats at Quechee Gorge after he lost the seal on his valve cover and we took it off and replaced it---as far as I can remember they were as smooth as a babies behind. He certainly has had better luck with his lubrication and lack of engine maintenance that you have David. Jerry started using it after going to the Mobile Steam Society(the Oak Ridge group) as they had run several tests on it</HTML>

Posted by: Harvey Hawkins (IP Logged)
Date: August 20, 2003 11:27AM

<HTML>Gentlemen, what brand and grade of synethic oil is being used.
thanks</HTML>

Posted by: Roland Evans (IP Logged)
Date: August 20, 2003 06:25PM

<HTML>Mobil 1 SHC 634 Synthetic gear & bearing oil</HTML>

Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: August 21, 2003 09:31AM

<HTML>Rolly, if I remember correctly, you are also using this oil to replace the steam cylinder oil and the engine oil?</HTML>

Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: August 21, 2003 10:46AM

<HTML>It is true that I have had engine maintenance problems but were not caused by my choice of oil. They are mostly related to the fact that I have driven the car nearly 40,000 miles, and some of them were very hard driving. Climbing Mt. Washington, for example.</HTML>

Posted by: William L. Petitjean, P.E. (IP Logged)
Date: November 03, 2003 04:28AM

<HTML>Hi All:

It is hard to argue with success and I never try to take someone away from an oil that is working, especially when my oil usually costs more than an off the shelf alternative.

There are many types of synthetic gear oils that will perform in a steam car. The only problem is you have no idea what additives are part of your super lubricant. Some of these may attack your car parts as David Nergaard suggested.

Steam cars grew up around simple mineral lubes and these are the types of oil that should be used.

Bill Petitjean</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.