SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
crank case oil
Posted by: Per Nielsen (IP Logged)
Date: September 23, 2003 06:38PM

<HTML>The oil should splash in the crank case acording to Stanley instructions. Wich oil should be used here?
Are any of you adding lard to the oil?
Per</HTML>

Re: crank case oil
Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: September 24, 2003 10:16AM

<HTML>The Stanley company recommended Mobileoil "C", which was a straight mineral gear oil, SAE viscosity 160. There are still a few SAE 140 straight mineral gear oils available. I have been using such for more than thirty years in my Stanley. Be careful to avoid any oil with "EP" or hypoid gear additives, they can attack nonferrous parts!</HTML>

Re: crank case oil, viscosity grades
Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: September 24, 2003 10:49AM

<HTML>ISO 460 is the equivalent of SAE 140. I think ISO 680 would be very like the old SAE 160.</HTML>

Posted by: William L. Petitjean, P.E. (IP Logged)
Date: November 03, 2003 04:17AM

<HTML>Hi Per:

David is correct in that you want only a straight mineral gear oil lubricant. You do not want to add any animal or vegetable fats as these will emulsify and make a big mess. They will also gum up over time and coat the parts in your crankcase.

According to my data SAE140 gear oil viscosity covers a wide range of ISO VG ratings from midway between ISO320 and ISO460 to just over ISO680.

I make a Pin, Bearing & Journal Oil called PB&J460 Formula 2 that is a true ISO460 plain bearing oil that only has a Polybutene tackifier added to pure Pennsylvania Bright Stock. This is the best of gear oil base stocks and I am confident it would satisfy the old Stanley recommendations.

Be careful about so called "mineral oils" from the major lube blenders. Many of these companies no longer have high viscosity group I base oils in their blending operations. I caught Conoco selling an SAE90 multipurpose oil that is made from SAE30 Hydroclear base oil!!! The only way to go from 30 weight to 90 weight is to add additives like viscosity builders. This is no longer a straight mineral oil and you have no idea what other ingredients lurk in the additives package that contains the viscosity builders.

I am also working on a mineral/synthetic cylinder oil in the ISO680, ISO1000 and ISO1500 grades. It comes both compounded and un-compounded for condensing systems. The synthetic component is designed to eliminate carbon deposits and improve performance in high pressure, high temperature steam engines. I have had several inquiries from the steam car fraternity already.

I hope this is helpful.

Bill Petitjean</HTML>

Posted by: Arnold Walker (IP Logged)
Date: November 12, 2003 03:48AM

<HTML>Nothing like getting the info straight from the horse's mouth....

Thanks Bill

The synthetic would be for monotube condensing cars ....right?
Not the formula 2 mineral with tackifier like you seemed to be talking for the Stanleys.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.