SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
1901 Modelworks Locomobile Replica
Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: October 20, 2003 09:23AM

<HTML>Hi All,

I figured this was newsworthy enough for its own web pages:

[www.angelfire.com]

Contains interesting illustrations and info on Locomobiles which I think is appearing here for the first time on the internet. Another "internet first" for Mr. Pete. :)

Spread the word! I don't think I am alone in hoping that this project will really take off!

Imagine, steam cars back in production again ...

Peter</HTML>

Re: 1901 Modelworks Locomobile Replica
Posted by: Alan Woolf (IP Logged)
Date: October 21, 2003 10:57AM

<HTML>It is an interesting project but why not do something really interesting like an H4 or H5 Stanley? A lot of the castings and part already exist for the early Stanley's and I bet the parts count for a Locomobile and an H4 Stanley is not much different. The H5 is a real hotrod. (See the link for a picture). I have driven the car in the picture and it will move on down the road. Plus it handles amazingly well. The owner took me for a ride and took one corner where I was sure he was going to pull the clincher tires off of the rims and it handled it with no problem. The H5 was truly the "Corvette" of that era. It would be a much better choice for a reproduction and I don't think the parts count is much greater than the Locomobile. And it is a heck of a lot more fun to drive than a Loco. The earlier version of the same car had cycle fenders and wire wheels. A bit of judicious trimming could drop the cost if that was an issue. With some of the noncondensing Stanley's parts already available if they got a production run of 200 going they could get the cost down with CNC machine tools.
Alan
[steamingdownsouth.com];

Posted by: EARL C. LEAVEY (IP Logged)
Date: October 21, 2003 11:22AM

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: October 21, 2003 01:35PM

<HTML>For a first time Steam car project, the Locomobile is the best choice for the novice who may be limited in money, space and talent. The Locomobile weighs less than half the weight of the Stanley H5. It takes up a lot less shop space, and for the parts to be shipped as a kit, a lot less packaging and freight charges. Once the Locomobile kit car has ran it's course, then the novices that had built the Locomobile, if they want to, can put up a little more money on the line and step up to build a Stanley H5 or ? I have seen a lot more people scratch build a Locomobile as their first steam car than any other steam car. If a person wants to start with a H5 right now, contact Mark Herman in West Redding, CT. He already has everything for you to get started. Or if you would rather, he can finish one up for you.</HTML>

Posted by: Arnold Walker (IP Logged)
Date: October 21, 2003 11:42PM

<HTML>Agree with sssteamer ....that's why my first steam project is a garden tractor...
Might dream of driving some super steamers that showup in
these and other pages.But until I learn the ropes on this steam stuff we keep small.Less expensive when you screw-up a part,too.</HTML>

Posted by: Simon Cast (IP Logged)
Date: October 22, 2003 11:54AM

<HTML>Thank you SSsssteamer for your kind thought's on our choice. So far we have had about half a dozen enquiries for brochure's and reserving a kit if it goes ahead. I have also been having some very helpful and constructive discussions with Susan davis at the Stanley Museum who I am sure most of you know.
Her request was that we issue a plaque on each vehicle, something like:- MW-2004-001 then send these details together with the client's address/phone number to the museum so that they can track an original Locomobile from a Modelwork's kit.
I feel this is an excellent idea because the last thing we at Modelwork's want to do is to instantly depress the value of existing and original Locomobile's thereby utterly p*****g off the entire steam car community!</HTML>

Posted by: Per Nielsen (IP Logged)
Date: October 30, 2003 07:42PM

<HTML>Peter, I think your project is very interesting. I like to be informed on how you progress.
I have some constructive questions:
How are you planning to document the construction?
Boiler and safety issues must be adressed in detail, including well calculated construction with "as build" drawings to go along. Authorities here would want to see them.
Are you thinking of using the original arrangement of safety valve, or are you planning to use modern type? Which?
Are you planing to use one ore two safety valves? Two safety valves would be in compliance with rules in my area.
How are you planning to control boiler certificates, material certificates, X-ray, boiler testing?
I would like to se who you choose as producer of the boiler. A known producer like John Gould would give you credit.
Braking capability, I have seen early Stanley/Locomobiles fitted with additional disc brakes on the front wheels. What is your plan? Original or improved.
regards Per</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: October 31, 2003 08:21AM

<HTML>Thanks Per,

It's not my project, I'm just reporting on it and running some info and illustrations about the original Locomobile. Modelworks International in England are the people undertaking the Locomobile project. Perhaps Simon Cast or members of his technical staff will reply to your important questions?

The Modelworks folks have considerable experience in designing and certifying power boilers and steam engines for their in-house commercial production and international sales. This is one reason why I (and many others in the steam hobby) find their project so interesting and exciting! I find it exciting enough to cover in several webpages. They have the resources, expertise, experience, and enthusiasm needed for successful antique-replica steam car production. I think this is the biggest news to hit the steam car world in decades! Their email and website addresses are included in the article if you would like to contact them directly.

As I understand, this project is still in the planning stages, and I believe that your questions will be read and addressed by them, as the Modelworks folks monitor and often reply to the discussion of their project on this and other steam forums, as part of their intensive research & development effort. Our input on this Locomobile replica project -- public and private -- does matter!

One bit of news I received recently: their detailed examination of a 1902 Locomobile in England a few days ago was very successful and encouraging, and the Modelworks technical staff believe, now more than ever, that the project is well within their technical and production capabilities.

Also, Modelworks staff are looking for blueprints of the Locomobile engine -- anyone possessing such blueprints, whether a complete set or drawings of components, should contact them directly ASAP.

Peter</HTML>

Posted by: James D. Avis (IP Logged)
Date: March 17, 2004 07:13AM

<HTML>
I saw the picture of the H5 from the above link: very impressive.
Are you saying that Mr Herman is capable of creating one as a replica?
( I have seen other people's replicas on this site.) What would be the
cost, if he could do this? Any Idea?</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.