SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Mystery photo
Posted by: Per Nielsen (IP Logged)
Date: January 07, 2004 07:38PM

<HTML>On page one JW have placed a photo in the frame "mystery photo".
Can you help me identify the place and the model year?

A frind of mine found some vintage motorcycleparts in a container on its way to the city dump. While serching the hole container for more "gold" 2 dias turned up. He passed them on to me, due to the Stanley content. This dias is one of them.

Per</HTML>

Re: Mystery photo
Posted by: Alan Woolf (IP Logged)
Date: January 08, 2004 02:30AM

<HTML>What a great photo! The photo is of a condensing Stanley chassis. I would guess the picture was made in the Stanley factory in Newton, Massachusetts on the upper floor where the cars were built. The chassis would be a 1916 Model 725 or 1917 Model 728. The reason I think it is a 725 or 728 as opposed to a Model 730 is because the upper bracket on the steering column does not have the ears to attach to the cowl on the body.

Alan</HTML>

<b>Re: Mystery photo</b>
Posted by: JW (IP Logged)
Date: January 08, 2004 04:43PM

<HTML>How many Stanleys do you find in the photo?

JW

</HTML>

Posted by: Alan Woolf (IP Logged)
Date: January 09, 2004 01:28AM

<HTML>I can see 7.

Alan</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: January 09, 2004 01:31AM

<HTML>I counted 9 Stanleys in the photo. There are 4 bays with them parked 2 deep, and with the one in the foreground. In the right bay, you have to count the tires showing. Anyone see anything different?</HTML>

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: January 09, 2004 11:11AM

<HTML>I count eight steering wheels and on the right side of the photo you can see three tires one behind each other indicating one more car in the back, maybe.</HTML>

Posted by: George (IP Logged)
Date: January 09, 2004 11:36AM

<HTML> I believe the Stanley factory was a reinforced concrete building(the first in the country?!?) as there was a stevadore strike at the time---does the building look like a concrete building?? I also wonder about that front post being two pieces. Maybe Coburn or Dave will give some historical input.
George</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: January 09, 2004 02:11PM

<HTML>I really wonder if this is the actual main Stanley factory building, which as George mentioned, was concrete; but perhaps another wooden building next to the factory? A storage area, one end of the service department?
Also, note the size and length of the feedwater heater, the lack of the cover over the pump drive rod, and finally, the correct way to stripe the wheel spokes. Great photo, any more like this one taken inside the factory?</HTML>

Date: January 09, 2004 04:05PM

<HTML>I seen in the mystery photo, that the routing of the exhausted steam from the feedwater heater to the condenser is directly over the top of the smoke bonnet. Is this correct for a 1916 Stanley? That looks unusual to me because on the model 735, from the feedwater heater to the condenser, the exhausted steam is routed straight forward from the feedwater heater to the right side of the condenser then upwards with a couple of 90 degree bends to the center of the condensor. These photos can teach us a lot.</HTML>

Date: January 10, 2004 12:43PM

<HTML>I been over the origional with a magnifyingglas - and i can only see 7 steeringwheels. To the left there is something that could be one tire from the 8. car. But why is just one tire visible? I think 7 is the right number.
Per</HTML>

Date: January 10, 2004 01:13PM

<HTML>Per
I enlarged the photo and there is what appears to be a segment of a steering wheel just to the left of the forward split column right at the split line. That would make eight steering wheels.</HTML>

Date: January 10, 2004 02:44PM

<HTML>Rolly,
I think you are right. The height of this steering wheel segment is like the other and one spoke is visible in the lower part of it.
Per</HTML>

Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: January 11, 2004 01:50AM

<HTML>Per
I see seven steering wheels and three tires along the right hand wall. I assume that they represent two more cars. Also along the right hand wall are 6 horizontal pipes starting at floor level. This is the same type of steam heating arrangement that my Grandfather used to heat greenhouses in Pennsylvania in the early 20's. The pipes above the car in the foreground appear to be waste pipes. Four and a vent. A lavatory above perhaps. Also note running fore and aft, piping that looks like a sprinkler system. Surely that would be unusual for this period. Does anybody know if the Stanley plant was sprinklered? Lastly in the upper right is what appears to be the remminants of some overhead llineshafting.
Dick Vennerbeck, California</HTML>

Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: January 11, 2004 01:20PM

<HTML>The building is obviously wood framed. It could be either the Stanley dry plate factory on Hunt Street, which was added to the car factory after the dry plate business was sold to George Eastman, or the Hickory Wheel (bicycle) factory on Water Street, which the Stanleys purchased from Sterling Elliot when they first started making cars in 1899. There definately seems to be a fire sprinckler system in place. Judging by the size of the riser pipe, there is at least one floor, with sprinklers, above the one pictured.
I see only seven cars. I note that the fuel pressure bottles are behind the battery close to the main fuel tank. The feed water lines to the heater enter the back end of it. And there is a fuel heating coil above the boiler. Do these clues help in dating it?
The main Stanley car factory building was poured concrete, but I don't think it was reinforced concrete. It was simply a low labor cost way to make a masonry building, done because of a labor union issue.</HTML>

Posted by: George (IP Logged)
Date: January 11, 2004 03:28PM

<HTML>Dave,
Coburn also mentioned via telecon that it could possibly be the Hickory Wheel factory building. I wonder how many cars Fred Marriot could get into his garage as well, I have never been to that building but that was later on.
George</HTML>

Date: January 11, 2004 05:30PM

<HTML>I think Pat and Rolly are most observant and make a very good case for there being evidence to count 9 Stanleys in the Mystery Photo.

Four bays, two deep, and the one in the foreground.

The steering wheel for the ninth car in the corner, along the right wall can be seen through the haze created by the window on the back wall. There are 2 steering wheels clouded by this back light, one steering wheel large and centered around the bright window, the other just below and to the right. Look closely and it will be there. It seems to correspond with 2 of the 3/4 visable wheels along the right wall.

Great photo!

JW

</HTML>

Date: January 11, 2004 06:01PM

<HTML>John
I looked at that as being the ninth steering wheel but it was so blurred I couldn’t be sure.
I am sure of the eight. Great photo. I sent it to my old office so our in house publisher can print it 11 X 17 or as big as it will stay sharp.
Rolly</HTML>

<b>Re: Mystery photo - larger version posted</b>
Date: January 11, 2004 06:47PM

<HTML>Rolly-

I had the very same thoughts until you pointed out the wheel count along the right wall. This is supporting evidence that there are 4 bays 2 deep, a 2nd steering wheel obscured by the backlight from the window, ........and nine Stanleys.

I cropped the photo some and compressed its jpegness for posting on the website. I will post the raw photo file just as I received it from Per. It will be found through a link on the same page for those who are interested in the larger image to download.

Keep your water wet...........[solid water not good]

JW

</HTML>

Date: January 11, 2004 08:35PM

<HTML>An interesting observation is that probably these Stanleys have already road tested. In the very center of the photo there is a chassis with an upholstered front seat with a hand operated horn attached to the side of the seat. Starting in 1915, electric horns were used and installed under the hood (Mt Wagon's electric horn was installed outside), so this was probably a removable front seat for road testing the chassis. These Stanleys are housed in an all wooden building (floor could possibly be cement). That is probably why there is such a good fire sprinkler system installed.</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: January 11, 2004 09:33PM

<HTML>Fascinating detail in the large picture - the bracket supporting the brake rods looks just like to that on our 1914 Model 607 - wish we could find a similar picture of one!</HTML>

Date: January 11, 2004 09:48PM

<HTML>I am overwhelmed by the response to this photo. Thank you all.
The original is a 80x80 mm glass Dias (positive). It was found together with other Dias, one of them showing a commercial for Stanley in Danish. This have very likely been shown in cinema before the movie. The commercial bears the name of the Danish dealer “Mathiesen og Ernst” who, according to the notes in the Stanley Dealer bulletins, were dealing Stanley 1922-23.
The file I mailed to JW is a 239 KB .jpeg. It is based on a 6.9 MB .TIF scan of the Dias. This is too big to mail. In stead I will offer the discussion group + 10 more a god print of the .TIF. Just mail me your address.
Per</HTML>

Date: January 11, 2004 11:06PM

<HTML>Please put me down for a print. my address is 367 King Street, Littleton, Mass., 01460-1248, USA.
I have spotted a couple more details which may help identify the chassis. The rectangular object between and below the two valves on the dash appears to be an Apel indicating cutout. Which years did Stanlet use the Apel electric system? The boiler seems to be fitted with a brazed three tube indicator of the short style. Not the earlier cast type or the later long type.
It looks to me like the two pulley wheels in the back of the room penetrate the floor above. Could they have been part of the setup for testing the Florida racer before it was sent south?</HTML>

Date: January 12, 2004 12:58PM

<HTML>Per
I would like to have a copy of any old photos you can e-mail. Thanks for sending this photo to John. Very interesting.

revans8770@cs.com

Rolly</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in maine (IP Logged)
Date: January 12, 2004 01:26PM

<HTML>The wheels for the test rig were closer to 8 ft dia ,,,Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (IP Logged)
Date: January 12, 2004 05:22PM

<HTML>Hi,
I also would like any old photographs that you can email, many thanks, Jeff Theobald.

jeff.pauline@tesco.net</HTML>

Steam car photos
Date: January 12, 2004 07:30PM

<HTML>Please email me too with files of your steam car photos. Pat Farrell</HTML>

Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: January 12, 2004 08:11PM

<HTML>Per,
I would also really enjoy seeing the photo in better detail. Wouls you please include me in you email list.

Mange Tak,
Dick</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Merrick (IP Logged)
Date: January 14, 2004 08:20PM

<HTML>Fascinating photo. It looks very similar to another photo that is in the collection of the Tekniska Museet (National Museum of Science & Technology) in Stockholm, Sweden. The photo in Stcckholm was taken from the opposite end of the building, I would guess, and there is a license plate visible in that other image which dates it to 1923. It is almost certainly in the Stanley Motor Carriage "concrete" factory on 44 Hunt St., Watertown. The exterior shell of that building is of poured reinforced concrete, but most of the floors are woodframe, and I'm told that there is an internal row of wooden columns that runs down the middle of the building to help support the floor above - it's clearly visible in both photos.

We would love to have a copy of this photo, and that incredible advertising image, here at the archives at the Stanley Museum in Kingfield.

Jim Merrick, Archivist
Stanley Museum
40 School Street
Kingfield, ME 04947
USA</HTML>

Date: January 22, 2004 11:05PM

<HTML>The gauges are mounted in the firewall, not in a seperate dashboard. What condensing car had this feature? A Mountain Wagon, special hack or truck?

I wonder?

JW</HTML>

Date: January 23, 2004 03:27AM

<HTML>According to my original sales literature, both the 1916 and 1917 Stanley passenger cars had their gauges mounted in the firewall. The 1918 model 735 Stanleys were the first Stanleys to have them mounted on their dashboard.</HTML>

Date: January 25, 2004 01:34PM

<HTML>I have received the large prints of both the photo and the advertisement that Per sent. Many thanx, Per. Would you be so kind as to send a translation of the ad? I wonder why a photo of an earlier car was used with the ad, which clearly shows a later, flat condensered car.
I can see parts of eight steering wheels, including that of the foreground chassis.</HTML>

Date: January 28, 2004 04:30PM

<HTML>David, here is the translation of the danish adverticement:
Kør "Stanley" Dampvogn - Drive Stanley Steamcar
Og De vil altid undgaa: - and you will always avoid:
Tilsodede tændrør - sotted sparkplugs
Kobling og gearskiften - Clutch and gearchange
Magnet og karburatorforstyrrelser - Magnetand carburator disturbances
Kulilte forgiftning - CO2 poisoning
Enerverende vibrationer - enervating vibrations
Odensegade 24 - This is the steetname and nr. in Copenhagen.
Telefon: ØBRO 5501 - The telphone number, when you picked up the phone you asked the operator for ØBRO 5501. The number is in the Østerbro-area of Copenhagen.
Mathiesen og Ernst - the two people dealing Stanley. These names also aperas in the Stanley Dealer Bulletins, list of dealers.
Forlang Demonstation - Demand a demonstation

I know of at least one photo of a Stanley taken near the litle mermaid in Copenhagen in the erley twenties. If I can get hold of it I will bring it too.
Per</HTML>

Date: February 01, 2004 01:12PM

<HTML>Thanx again, Per Some of the words I had a gues at, with some success. Do you have any idea when the advertisement was used?
I well remember telephone operators, and party lines. Princeton (the university town) did not have an automatic (dial) exchange 'till I was in high school. Four homes shared our 'phone line. A letter suffix told the operator which ring to use. Our number was PRInceton 1823J.</HTML>

Date: February 01, 2004 01:38PM

<HTML>David,
acording to the dealerlist in The Stanley Steamer Bulletins. the danish dealer in 1919 was Nordisk Elektrisk Aparatfabrik in St. Kongengsgade , Copenhagen. Mathiesen & Ernst apears on the list undated but believed to be march 8, 1922. This maches the model on the add fine.
Per</HTML>

Date: February 04, 2004 06:30PM

<HTML>Jim,
is the factory 44 Hunt st. Watertown the same place as the factory in Newton Massachusetts?
Per</HTML>

Date: February 08, 2004 01:47PM

<HTML>None of the factory buildings used by the Stanleys were in Newton. They were all technically in Watertown, but being on the south side of the Charles River, were served by the Newton post office. The Stanley's homes were in Newton.</HTML>

Posted by: James Merrick (IP Logged)
Date: February 09, 2004 12:12PM

<HTML>Per,

David is correct - all the Stanley factory buildings were located in Watertown, Massachusetts, on the border with Newton. He is also correct (and I was wrong) in pointing out that the building in your photo was NOT the concrete factory building that still stands at 44 Hunt Street. I spent quite a bit of time looking at your photo and comparing it with other interior and exterior photos which we have of the SMCC buildings, and I realized that the windows don't match up with the concrete building. The windows do match up with those in the Old Hickory Wheel factory - this was the original factory, originally used by the Stanleys' neighbor, Sterling Elliott, for the construction of bicycles and racing sulkies until the mid-1890s. The Stanleys bought the empty building in the early spring of 1899 and began tooling up for production. Locomobile purchased the building and expanded it, using it for production until 1901. The Stanleys bought the facility back and resumed production there - virtually all pre-coffin-nose Stanleys (and Watertown-made Locomobiles) were made in that building. It later housed the Testing Room - a photograph of which was published in Bulb Horn back in the 1940s, and Fred Marriott's Repair Department. The building was torn down in the late 1920s to make way for a new highway (and some sources say that the Steam Vehicle Corporation of America decided to relocate operations to Allentown, Pa., because of the taking of this building).

We would like to add your photo to the new Stanley history book coming out this spring, with your permission. We would also like to use the Mathieson & Ernst Stanley advertisement as an illustration in the book as well.

Jim Merrick</HTML>

Date: February 15, 2004 08:10PM

<HTML>Jim,
you are free to use both photos in the book.
Per</HTML>

Date: March 09, 2004 01:32PM

<HTML>Per,
The four cylinder automobile steam engine is a Gearless. Each two cylinder engine drove it's own wheel. A bad idea.
The boiler is a Roberts water tube.
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: Andy Patterson (IP Logged)
Date: March 09, 2004 03:01PM

<HTML>Hi Jim

Are you sure about that four cylinder. I see what looks like a sprocket in the in the center of the crank. If each half is independent what is that sprocket doing there?

Andy</HTML>

Date: March 09, 2004 03:40PM

<HTML>The boiler is also a bad design, it does not have natural circulation like the Derr or other marine water tube boilers.
Rolly</HTML>

Date: March 10, 2004 10:56AM

<HTML>Andy, I think the sprocket is for the generator drive. Where else could you get the electricity for the lamps? There should also be a small pinion for driving the pumps.</HTML>

Date: March 10, 2004 03:03PM

<HTML>Andy, Yes it is a Gearless. Count the cylinders, FOUR. Remember each engine drove it's own wheel.
Rolly, Indeed, a lousy boiler design with no circulation to speak of with those horizontal tubes.
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: Andy Patterson (IP Logged)
Date: March 10, 2004 05:28PM

<HTML>Hi Jim

I am still wondering about that sprocket that appears to be in the center of the crank. Can't really tell but it appears that the sprocket center aligns with the center of the crank shaft. And that indicates that there might be a solid connection all the way through there. The sprocket doesn't look like it would handle much power though. The four crank throws appear to by 90 degrees apart. An interesting coincidence.

Andy</HTML>

Date: March 10, 2004 05:43PM

<HTML>Andy,
Most likely the water pump and generator drives. One on the end too.
I have a Gearless catalog if I can find it.
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: Tony Hubner (IP Logged)
Date: September 20, 2004 08:09AM

<HTML>SKIPSMOTOR: This is a "Gearless"as fitted horizontally to the rear axle. There was mo differential, each Walshaert's geared twin cylinder unit driving its own wheel.

Semper vapore!

Tony.

ps am building a lightweight 3-wheel Morgan-style car with direct drive to rear wheel.</HTML>

Date: November 17, 2004 05:21PM

<HTML>The boiler pictured next to the Gearless engine is the type of boiler used in the Gearless car. It was fired with a rectangular vaporizing burner. So far as I know, no more than a dozen Gearless cars were built.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.