SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Boiler Circulation
Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: February 18, 2002 02:14AM

<HTML>In boiler books I have noticed locomotive boiler performance data is reduced when the boiler was refited for service as a stationary boiler. I happened to read a quote that got me thinking "circulation is assisted by agitation of the liquid, by stirring or shaking; which probably accounts for the high evaporativeefficiency of many locomotive boilers" - Hutton in Steam Boiler Construction. I know the effect was probably seen, and greatest in water and fire tube boilers of the day, but what I was wondering is if any one has recorded any information about enhanced circulation in a boiler from road vibration. I figure the Dobles must have had a very smooth ride but the road must have imparted some vibration to the boiler, did anyone ever record boiler outputs on the road compaired to in the shop ?

Have any boiler designs included mechanical vibrations to enhance circulation ?

The principal of enhanced circulation was utilized by T.V. Bloomquest of Sweden to produce a boiler capable of evaporating up to 100 pounds of steam per square foot per hour at pressures of 900 psi and higher. His boiler acomplished this by using rapidly revolving tubes for great rates of circulation see page 238 of the feb 1923 edition of Power. I wish I could find a copy, anyone seen anything like this ?

Peter Heid</HTML>

Re: Boiler Circulation
Posted by: George K. Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: February 18, 2002 10:44AM

<HTML>Peter,
In the 1930's the german steam engineer Vorkauf mada a revolving boiler, and there was also a Herpen-Vorkauf revolving boiler. Borsig also made one.
Vorkauf's rotated at around 3000rpm!!! This is all in that STEAM GENERATOR book you will soon be getting---you will get it!! Seems my inquiry of shipping charges was taken as an order so e-mail me your mailing address if still interested and I will rotate it around to you--you found it!!
Boiler rotation greatly increases the gas side velocities where the greatest temperature drop occurres. Think "all the shakin goin on" in the firetube locos was the water sloshing around wiping off all the collecting steam bubbles off the tubes. In water tube boilers with sufficient circulation ratios(velocities) all the induced turbulence takes car of the problem. In the Lamont a 5-10 ratio is desired but smaller id tubes require a lower ratio than large tubes.
George</HTML>

Re: Boiler Circulation
Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: February 18, 2002 03:06PM

<HTML>I was thinking about importance of circulation after reading some on the subject. My numbers may be wrong but I'm sure you will get the idea. If a steam generator coil 100 feet long, with an ID of 1/2 inch, were to produce steam at 100 lbs/sq ft/hour at 1500 psi, that would be about 0.10 cu ft/sec. If we were to sweep the bubbles away when they reached a size of 0.100 inches in diameter, then to acheive 0.10 cu ft/sec we would need to sweep 126,000,000 bubbles from the tube walls every second.

I guess I have too much time to think, maybe I should get a TV or something.

Peter Heid</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.