SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
!Wanted! Woggelbugs photos
Posted by: Erik Karlsson (IP Logged)
Date: February 10, 2004 07:41PM

<HTML>Hello my friend.

If you think have some nice photos on the StanleySteamers "Woggelbug"
I would be glad if you could send them to me. I'm going to use them for a Schoolproject about cardesign and cardesign history.
The Woggelbug is really facinatin me. To do 240kmph (140mph) with a steam engine is wery impressive to me. =)

My email is: Tsirbiski@hotmail.com

Thanks for your help.

PS: NOTE! this topic is valid to 2004-03-01. Ds</HTML>

Re: !Wanted! Woggelbugs photos
Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: February 11, 2004 11:24AM

<HTML>Pictures of the Stanley "bug" have been published many times, starting with some very good pictures in the Scientific American of 3 February, 1906, p 115 and 10 February, PP 133-134, which includes a good description of the car.
I will look up further references if you wish.</HTML>

Posted by: George (IP Logged)
Date: February 11, 2004 11:29AM

<HTML>Eric,
The Wogglebug" is what the 1905 car was called as it had two 10 horsepower engines each driving a back wheel. It would appear that the back end would wobble or "woggle" under high power, it won the Dewars Cup Race on Ormond beach in 1905. It was made by Ross and was the precursors of the very successful Stanley racer which was called by a few other disparaging names as well.
Which car are you interested in---sounds like the Stanley record breaker and not the "wogglebug".
Best, George</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: February 11, 2004 01:20PM

<HTML>Eric,
The Stanley racer is not the Woggelbug, that is the car made earlier by Ross.
The book "Racing on the Rim" by Dick Punnett is full of pictures of both the Ross and Stanley racers. I believe it is still available from the Stanley Museum.
Jim</HTML>

Wogglebug history
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: February 11, 2004 01:25PM

<HTML>The twin engined "Ross Woggelbug", as described above by George, set a new class record at Ormond Beach races of 1905, where it set a record of 94.7 mph for the flying mile. Louis Ross was an inventor from Newtonville, Massachusetts, was amongst the first to exploit the Stanley's performance potential with his proto-aerodynamic race car. For 1906 at Ormond Beach races the Stanleys introduced a new bright red car which used an upside down boat for a body and it was called the "Stanley Racer". The resulting vehicle was close enough in concept to the Ross Wogglebug that the two were and are occasionally confused. Most news accounts of 1906 and 1907 called the car "Wogglebug". Usually this was shortened to "Bug". It was a good guess that driver Fred Marriott re-named the car "Rocket" in about 1940 and no one had a better right to do so. The "Rocket" was the car that in 1907 at Ormond Beach, was traveling about 150 mph when the flat underside of the body like an airplane wing, lifted it's front wheels off the ground and it glided for 103 feet. The car then veered slightly to the left, toward the sea, and when the wheels touched the ground the Stanley racer rolled over and over and was dashed to pieces. At that time the Stanley brothers then determined that racing was too dangerous, and it was the last time that they ever raced. The "Automobile Quarterly" Volume 2, number 2, 1963; and Volume 25 number 1 are my information sources.</HTML>

Posted by: George (IP Logged)
Date: February 11, 2004 03:41PM

<HTML>Eric,
You may want to go to this stanley steamers.com home page, possibly webmaster Woodson has a photo tucked in there. Do a search on "Ormond Beach" and "Birthplace of Speed" as last year they had a celebration of the earlier events and I believe had a picture of the Stanley "Rocket" in the program, their Chamber of Commerce put it on. Some of us do have pictures of this fine machine but no way to duplicate or send them to you.
Good luck with your paper, George</HTML>

Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: February 11, 2004 04:46PM

<HTML>Eric,
You will find photographs and a diagram of the Stanley Racer here.
[www.steamcar.co.uk]

Dick</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.