SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Rough cost to put together a 20hp stanley?
Posted by: Jordan (IP Logged)
Date: May 27, 2004 12:45PM

<HTML>Friends, curious as to a rough estimate of the cost (parts only) to put together a 20hp Model H or R - not necessarily with an original H or R engine, but the rough cost of parts (new body/frame/boiler/engine/valves/automatic e.t.c.
I am not ready yet (which is why I haven't contacted the appropriate people Mark Herman e.t.c.) but would like a rough idea.

I had the pleasure of attending the Museum's drivers education class over the weekend and had a ball - I am in love with Al Martin's car! I also can't say enough good things about the program Sue Davis has put together - an amazing education in a short period of time.

Thanks in advance,
Jordan</HTML>

Re: Rough cost to put together a 20hp stanley?
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: May 27, 2004 11:04PM

<HTML>Dear Jordan, I assembled a model R and I have done most of my own work. I traded for a 20 hp noncondensing engine years ago and installed a 51 tooth drive gear. I would guess that I have about $4,000 in the engine. Alan Kelso built my "R" body, boiler, and axles; and Loren Burch did the upholstery. Today I probably have about $30,000 into it. About all it has left to be done is a little more plumbing and then it is fire up time. I was amazed about how quickly it came together. All in about 2 years. It has to sit now while I finish my Mt. Wagon.</HTML>

Posted by: Tom Lahey (IP Logged)
Date: June 06, 2004 03:23PM

<HTML>What percentage of the car would qualify it to be an antique rather than a replica?</HTML>

Posted by: Graeme Vagg (IP Logged)
Date: June 08, 2004 08:10PM

<HTML>Jordan,

I would like to add to Tom's question by asking "How many original year components are needed for a restored or replica steamer to qualify as an original car?"

I understand you need about five significant parts (such as engine, chassis, radiator etc from an approved list) to rebuild petrol engined veteran or vintage cars. Steam probably comes under the same rules.

If you find the right parts (from a significant model or production sequence)it can be a worth while exercise.

Graeme</HTML>

Posted by: Tom Lahey (IP Logged)
Date: June 25, 2004 10:06PM

<HTML>The other question is are there prints available to use to build a car from?....when I browse the stuff coming up for auction, and find that I can buy new wooden wheels , it becomes very tempting to start thinking about building a car, but the devel is in the details, and I can only imagine the amount of undocumented parts I would need to find.
Has anyone carried the bill of material/ prints to the 100% level, and where would I buy it?</HTML>

Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: June 27, 2004 01:04PM

<HTML>Even the parts books printed by the Stanley factory don't have a complete list of what is needed to make a complete car.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.