SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Empire Oil Burner on Stanleys
Posted by: Ian Vinton (IP Logged)
Date: May 27, 2004 04:56PM

<HTML>Just brought a Stanley 740 from the USA which is fitted with a 23" boiler and an Empire Oil Burner. I intend to put a new boiler back in either to the original size of 18" or 16" as recomeded by John Goold. Question I got is has anybody any information or experience of the Empire Oil Burner that is currently fitted, especially relating to; is it up to the job and does it have electric preheat on the pilot.

Regards
Ian Vinton</HTML>

Re: Empire Oil Burner on Stanleys
Posted by: Eric Gleason (IP Logged)
Date: May 27, 2004 10:41PM

<HTML>Hi,
I have a empire burner fitted to my 1918 735. I have only been steaming the car for about a year now and, after some initial problems I think I will be quite happy with the empire. Mine has a large cast iron pilot light fitted flush with the top of the burner plate. The drilled pattern of holes spells out EMPIRE. I use a propane torch to heat it for vaporization. After some problems it seems to now be working well, burning unleaded or white gas in the pilot and a mix of deisel and gas for the main burner. My problems with the burner related to a gap between the burner plate and the pilot housing letting vapor leak and causing a fire under the plate when things heated up and the gap widened. Also a tube was supposed to be fitted into the pilot air intake, this was missing and caused the pilot to almost get blown out by the pressure from the main burner. I think it is now burning OK but I have not really played with it too much as I am in the process of getting a new boiler. I think that the empires have a good reputation. You can find out more on Robert Wilhelm's web page at www.stanleymotorcarriage.com/ Anyway, hope this is of some use, let me know if you need more info, Eric</HTML>

<b>Re: Boiler w/Empire Oil Burner on Stanleys</b>
Posted by: JW (IP Logged)
Date: May 28, 2004 03:03AM

<HTML>Hello Ian-

I think the 23 inch [diameter] boiler is standard for the 20hp cars. John Goold's reference to a dimension of 16 - 18" would be
the vertical measurement.

Have fun - dont catch fire! ;-)

JW

</HTML>

Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: May 28, 2004 11:23AM

<HTML>Go to the search fundtion on this site and type in Empire in search window.
In the window "last 30 day" scroll down to All Dates at the bottom. There are 30 entries in the history file.

Where did you aquire the car? The acution in Boston 9Brookline), MA USA?

There are many who still run Empire burners with success.</HTML>

Posted by: Donald Eckel (IP Logged)
Date: June 27, 2004 01:14AM

<HTML>Ian - you may want to contact me directly at my E- mail site deckel@goes.com Empire burners were all expermental make ups- I have discovered at least three versions of the pilot light and two different types of main burner grates. At one point an air pump was added to the pump box and air was added at the main burner nozzle under pressure! The Eckel family has had some documented history with empire burners dating back to 1928. The burner grate without the separate air hole for the pilot light was a 1950s recast. I have seen at least four of these, and I have two presently.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.