SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Steam Stuff At Auction!!
Posted by: chuk williams (IP Logged)
Date: May 29, 2004 10:34PM

<HTML>Hi All-

Leave it to an Aussie to bring it to our attention--Graeme Vagg
has mentioned an auction taking place in the first part of June that
all the "Steam Fiends" should take note of....just reading the list
of steam stuff up for auction makes me want to mortgage the house
and attend!!

Check out: [www.eauctionexchange.com]

Could some lucky stiff who plans to attend please get in touch with me??

Cheers---Chuk</HTML>

Re: Steam Stuff At Auction!!
Posted by: Graeme Vagg (IP Logged)
Date: May 30, 2004 04:56PM

<HTML>Hi Chuk,

Many thanks for passing the auction link on to a wider steam interest group.

This could be a very important auction.

The quantity of steam cars and components, plus workshop machinery that an new start enthusiast may be looking for, looks huge compared to what I have seen offered in steam club magazines in recent years.

An important issue is the fact that the steam machinery is only a small part of a much larger equipment clearing auction and the listing was hard to find. Steam enthusiasts could have easily missed it and the offerings could be picked up by junk dealers cheaply and end up on the scrap heap or boat moorings.

Chances are anyone will pick up an engine, parts or as complete car at an auction like this for much less the cost of building from scratch. Replica builders may find an authentic part that will allow their vehicle to eventually be classified in an appropriate antique class.

I would like to see a group of dedicated steam supportors keep shopping for all this stuff and buy it for restoring and use on the road by steam club members world wide. Don't let it slip through your fingers. There is not enough around, and too few running projects. If I had the resources I would love to set up something like a steam foundation to collect, restore and redistribute this stuff to where it could be best used.

Cheers,

Gareme</HTML>

Posted by: chuk williams (IP Logged)
Date: May 31, 2004 03:14AM

<HTML>Graeme--

Well, thanks again for bringing it to our attention--I'm
sure there are a lot of people out there like you and me--who
would love to get their hands on some of the stuff that's
listed for the auction-but don't have a chance in h--- of getting
to the auction......and so your idea definitely has a lot of merit.
I'm one of those guys who can't build an engine--so I'm
totally dependent on using someone elses' creation for my
projects......and I'm sure there's a large number of people out
there who could build a very nice steam vehicle--if we only
had the parts to put together!! If we could somehow get all
those undiscovered treasures out of someone's barn/attic/storage.....
there'd be a few more modern steamers on the road......don't
you think??

Chuk</HTML>

Posted by: Graeme Vagg (IP Logged)
Date: May 31, 2004 08:00PM

<HTML>Chuk,

I agree we have to find stuff that is locked away in attics and get it out in the field in working condition. There would be some equipment too old and worn out or impractical to use that is still useful as a public display as a learning tool.

There is a problem for absentee bidders at the forthcoming auction as the cataloging description is too brief to assess what they really have. There is so much equipment in the building(s) that they will not know the full extent until they start moving it out.

At least one steam equipment expert would need to identify what is really there and secure it if possible for a syndicate or individuals with a watch list. We should have this event well covered as at least 2 SACA members live nearby and one has already indicated he will be there, but perhaps with only a camera instead of a thick check book.

If there are others like yourself who need ready made hardware we could set up sale and auction watch groups to see what is really out there.

It is not a big problem for me as I make what I need. Vintage hardware is needed for vehicle restorations or replicas that can eventually qualify for a classic restored model. Some designs are also good enough to meet modern performance needs.

Lets hope too much does not slip through the cracks this week. Next chance might be a long way off. I think there are only 3 x 20 hp Stanley engines being offered at the Stanley Museum auction in July. That is not for an auction that had over 12 months planning time.

Graeme</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: June 01, 2004 04:11AM

<HTML>All too often at auctions, steam car parts come up and no one knows what they are and they are sold off as curiosities for next to nothing. With near nothing being paid for them, the new owner often discards them into their scrap pile. I have attended many a farm auction that many things that I had bought, I had to actually find it in the weeds and point it out to the auctioneer for me to bid on. If I hadn't dug it outmyself, the clean up crews would have hauled it in with the rest of the scrap iron found on the farms. It is very worth while to have someone knowledgable in steam at the auctions to get the parts back into circulation.</HTML>

Posted by: Gary Geyer (IP Logged)
Date: June 03, 2004 12:21AM

<HTML>I was quite amazed looking at the auction brochure of all the steam related items because this sale is within 70 miles of my home and I have never heard of the owner or his collection. I plan to attend both days of the auction and will try to pass on any interesting finds or discoveries.
Gary Geyer</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: June 08, 2004 11:59AM

<HTML>Can anyone give us a report on how the auction on the steam items went?</HTML>

Posted by: Gary Geyer (IP Logged)
Date: June 09, 2004 01:32AM

<HTML>If the auction results are any indication, the Steam Hobby is alive and well.
There were people from all across the U.S., England and Europe. The major items had people bidding by telephone and it was spirited. One of the horse drawn fire engines sold for 80,000 dollars. The other one sold for 140,000 dollars and was going to Colorado. The Toledo steamer went for around 45,000 dollars and the homemade Locomobile style car went for 14,000 dollars. The Nichols & Sheppard traction engine sold for 8500 dollars and a small park-style train engine and tender went for 8500 dollars.
The model 740B Stanley 7 passenger touring car (1923) with California top
sold for 26,000 dollars. It was a nice solid car but needed a complete restoration. After the car sold, one of the bidders, a man from England was feeling bad that he quit bidding at 26K, he said he had come to the auction to buy that car.
A 20hp engine for that model Stanley sold for 3750 dollars and was going to England.
There were hundreds of steam related items from whistles, model engines and lubricators.
There were also many marine steam and marine gas engines and steam pumps, boilers and misc. items.
With the hundreds of items and duplicate items, the auctioneers seemed to get good prices and the auction ran from 9:30 in the morning to late afternoon, sometimes with 2 rings going at once.
Some auction companies post their results, interested parties could check their website. As successful as this auction was for the sellers, an online catalog featuring the thousands of items offered probably would have spurred even more interest. As the auction bill stated, all these items were stored inside, many, many years and even though many items looked good, they all need some or much work.
We can all be grateful that this individual collected and stored all these items, saving them from the scrap and junkyards. There were many happy people taking their "treasures" home from this auction.
Gary Geyer</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: June 09, 2004 05:33PM

<HTML>Gary,
Thanks so very much for your information on the auction.
Best, George</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.