SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley Bus
Posted by: peter heid (IP Logged)
Date: June 21, 2004 08:39PM

<HTML>I just picked up the July 1941 copy of "Steammobile and Ye olde time car" and there is a letter published and a picture of a Stanley bus that is fully enclosed. There appear to be 5 rows of seats behind the driver and the accompanying letter state that it was made in Chicago in 1929 and was presently for sale for 600 bux. The gent sending the letter was Harry W McGee Sr of Milwaukee Wi.

I was wondering what became of this one, does it still exist, what chassis was it on ?

Peter Heid</HTML>

Re: Stanley Bus
Posted by: David Goff (IP Logged)
Date: June 23, 2004 11:22AM

<HTML>Mr. Heid:

I would submit the theory that you might be up against seeing if you could find the heirs of the owner as I would say it would be quite unlikely that he/she would still be around. The modern internet might make that type of search possible. Hard to say.

Dave</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: June 23, 2004 01:00PM

<HTML>Peter,
Contact the Stanley Museum and buy a copy of the soon to arrive book.
The bus is in there.
Actually there were two busses, one by the last version of the Stanley company that used a 30 hp engine and water tube boiler, the second was a bus plant designed by Abner Doble. The Doble plant is well described in the new material found at the Bancroft Library and is in the revised Doble notebooks. Neither exist.
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: Donald Eckel (IP Logged)
Date: June 27, 2004 01:05AM

<HTML>Steam Automobile club mebers who atteneded the North Carolina meets in the 1970's at Gibb's may remeber he had the "stanley" engine designed for one of those buses. As I recall it was much bigger than a 30 hp stanley engine but essentially looked like a Stanley engine.</HTML>

Posted by: Jerry Hackett (IP Logged)
Date: October 13, 2004 09:08PM

<HTML>Peter send me your E mail add Jerry Stanleybus@cox.net</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.