SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Everyone's favorite Stanley Model?
Posted by: Jordan (IP Logged)
Date: June 25, 2004 06:38PM

<HTML>Curious what everyone's favorite model is? If you could only have 1.

Thanks guys,
Jordan</HTML>

Re: Everyone's favorite Stanley Model?
Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: June 25, 2004 07:58PM

<HTML>Having seen the photo of the Vanderbilt over Fred Mariott 's desk,, I decided that was the car to own,,,,heck,, I can find holy grail's anny ole time but the Daytona Racer in Street form,,, The ultimate roadster,,,the low wheels,,30'' boiler,,the big engine,,,,and the race class limit was 2204 pounds,,,a true to form Vanderbilt,,,They sure did a good job to make it all fit,,,,,They did set a record or 2 at Old Orchard Beach,Maine ,,about 1912 The cars drove to the races over the road in those days,,, In 1952 I asked Fred where he had last known the car to be,,,,the chase was on,,,,the trail cooled,,,, Never give up NEVER Ben 6==25==2004 :-]</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: June 26, 2004 12:46PM

<HTML>Do you like blondes or red heads best? I love them all. Especially the 1911 model 85, 7 passenger like Brent Campbell's. You have speed, room, looks, and it is user friendly. I also like the 1909 Model R too. Light weight (1500 pounds), fast (cruises at 70 mph) and depending on seat configuration, seats up to four people. But then there is the 1914 Stanley model 606, 10 hp roadster. Very nimble, good protection against fowl weather and cozy for a riding along with your favorite lady. Up to 60 mph, it is very comfortable and it is able to compete with modern traffic.</HTML>

Posted by: Terry Williams (IP Logged)
Date: June 26, 2004 02:03PM

<HTML>Vanderbilt like Ben says, or maybe an H.</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: June 28, 2004 08:29AM

<HTML>Well, it must be a Model 706, the 20hp roadster version of our car, Model 607</HTML>

Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: June 30, 2004 10:56AM

<HTML>Since I enjoy long drives, I own a late model Stanley, a 735 condensing car of 1922. After all, the horse troughs Stanley drivers used to refill from are not too common these days!
What I would really like is an earlier V-nosed condenser car with one of the experimental piston valved engines the Stanley brothers made in 1917. However, I believe only one of the three they built survives, and it is made of "unobtainium".</HTML>

Posted by: Jordan (IP Logged)
Date: July 01, 2004 02:01AM

<HTML>Thanks guys - great answers, as expected.</HTML>

Posted by: Alan Woolf (IP Logged)
Date: July 01, 2004 09:27AM

<HTML>That is a hard question because they are all fun in their own way. I have driven about 15 or 16 different Stanley’s of all types both condensing and non-condensing including an EX, H, K, Model 70, 74, 85, 607, 728, 730, 735, & 740. I like to drive on day long and week long tours and 100-150+ miles days on good roads is a nice way to experience a Stanley. The non-condenser cars are typically lighter and more nimble but they are not as substantial nor have the good steering of a condenser car. Also 20hp and 30hp cars are definitely preferably. They have more power and are more long legged.

Given the one car choice I would probably chose from a list of three cars. The first would be a 1912-1914 era 20 hp aluminum paneled touring car. They are heavier but still run well and have a 40 gallon water tank. The Model 85 with a big water tank would also be in the running. It is hard to beat the performance of a 30 hp engine. One of the most experienced steam car owners that I know who owns or has owned about every type of Stanley always tells me the Model 85 would be his choice if he could only own one car. The other choice would be an early V condenser touring. They are particularly nice if they are converted to a 30hp boiler and burner. A properly sorted condenser car will cruise 50mph with an oversize boiler and burner.

BTW just for reference my personal car is a 1917 Model 730 touring.

Alan</HTML>

Posted by: Christopher W. Roberts (IP Logged)
Date: July 26, 2004 11:57PM

<HTML> All Stanley's are beautiful and special. I would think that everyone's personal car is their favorate. I enjoy the ride in the model 735 the best but for looks and apearence my favorate is the 1922 740-E 5 passenger brougham. My personal car is an E although the three others that are in existance and the factory literature call it a 740-F. I know my car has never been tampered with so although it is an 740-E is has originally a brougham body on it.

CWR</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.