SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
steam turbine
Posted by: jim reed (IP Logged)
Date: July 05, 2004 07:37PM

<HTML>I have a small APU starter from a jet emgine 8" dia x 20" (the turbine section is only about 6") long that is equipped with a reduction gearbox. It is a gas turbine. It is supplied with 3000 psi compressed air regulated down to 300 psi as it's air source. As such it has no compressor turbine only a power turbine. The turbine is similar to the exhaust turbine in a turbocharger. Has anyone ever tried converting one of these to steam?I have thoughts of using it in a small hydroplane.

Regards, Jim Reed</HTML>

Re: steam turbine
Posted by: Graeme Vagg (IP Logged)
Date: July 05, 2004 11:25PM

<HTML>Jim,

I have one also but mine used hot gas, possibly generated by an ignited cartridge or a shot of fuel. It had inlet nozzles so I fitted a plate over the inlet casing to make a steam supply manifold. It ran OK on 100 psi air supply but has not been tested on steam. I did not expect it to be as efficient as a recip engine so did not try it in a car. It has a 4:1 reduction gearbox for the outlet shaft but would still need a further reduction for a car or boat drive. Being a one off unit I didn't want to bust any parts on experiments as it might be handy for something special later on.

The turbine rotor is about 6" dia and is very well made, so would probably have similar power capability to the Lear bus turbine.

If there are more of these things floating around, I would save them for a rainy day. Jim Crank has used them is is not very impressed with overall performance, so don't get too excited about use prospects.

Graeme</HTML>

Re: steam turbine
Posted by: Arnold Walker (IP Logged)
Date: July 06, 2004 02:24PM

<HTML>You already have the hydroplane ...to have spec on drive requirements for power and rpm's.Maybe hull/planing speeds.
Would be interesting ,if you pulled that one off......lots of info for power recovery turbine steamcars.For anyone willing to tackle it.
With the exception of the Titanic or similar large piston marine applications.Few ,if any, power recovery turbines were known to exist.

Maybe some picture ,for the boat guys to check out. To see,if the hull is up to par for what you have in mind .have to pass on that part.

Powerplant has me puzzling ,but no "golden answers" on that yet.
How pounds of pressure were you thinking for the boiler.....with the crude at best info.You use in straight shot plumbing about 88 lbs/hp and 10660lbs/hr steam at 100psi. for 120hp.With better plumbing you can shave that number to 2500 lbs./hr. Assumed saturated until you come up with a superheat number.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.