SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley’s final prototypes
Posted by: Garry Hunsaker (IP Logged)
Date: August 07, 2004 02:11PM

<HTML>Every so often I hear enticing rumors of what the Stanley Corporation was working on in its final days. Rumors of a three cylinder uniflow, Jim Crank mentioning the factory built a buss with a water tube boiler, all of it wets my appetite for more information.

Would any one know if any of these projects have ever been written up? And if so, in what publications one would try and chase them down?

Garry</HTML>

Re: Stanley’s final prototypes
Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: August 09, 2004 10:13AM

<HTML>I have an original brochure for the "Unit Rail Car" with pictures and performance data based on various test runs. Not sure if this is the bus Jim is refering to. I have not seen this in any other publication except perhaps the Stanley Museum Quaterly.</HTML>

Re: Stanley’s final prototypes
Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: August 11, 2004 11:29AM

<HTML>I had heard of a 'bus being built by the Stanley company in Allentown, Penna. I have no idea what configuration was used or whether it ever ran. It was the Stanley company's last gasp.
Delling built a 'bus chassis using a Stanley type boiler mounted sideways with vaporising burner and piston valved three cylinder semi-uniflow engine. Two extra pistons added to improve engine balance were used as a compressor for the air brakes.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.