SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley Steering wheel finish
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: August 08, 2004 01:02PM

<HTML>Does any one know for sure what years that Stanley may have used a natural finish on their steering wheels and what years that they were finished in black? I recently bought a steering wheel for a model 735 that still had it's original black finish from the factory. Several restorers have finished their noncondensing Stanleys steering wheels in black, and then I have see some finished in a clear natural wood finish. Who is historically correct? Please address any years for the Stanley that you may know of.</HTML>

Re: Stanley Steering wheel finish
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: August 08, 2004 02:21PM

<HTML>Pat how do you know its original? Say it’s a 1922 or 82 years old. It could have been refinished after twenty years or sixty years ago.
I would like to know what kind of paints the Stanleys used on their cars from day one.
I acquired a 1915 swing away wheel, it’s walnut. I refinished it with pure linseed oil.
The one that was on the car 1920, looks like it still has black paint, but it looks like it was applied over varnish as most of the paint is worn off. I’m not sure which was on it first.
Rolly</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: August 08, 2004 04:00PM

<HTML>The steering wheel rim on Stanley 7644 (model 607, delivered May 15th 1914) has a black finish. When we got the car the rim had been covered with some sort of bleack plastic? grip material, but I don't think this was origina lto the car.</HTML>

Date: August 08, 2004 09:09PM

<HTML>Dear Rolly, I bought this mint steering wheel at the Stanley Museum auction in Kingfield and I paid $225 for it. I know that the wheel was for a 735 because the raised patent date on the wood was 3-11-1917 and it is exactly as found on the 735s I have seen. The wooden wheel when it was made had finger joints and then it was put into a hot steam press that gave it it's finger grips around the bottom side. The high heat of the press has cooked the original finish into the wood leaving no doubt that it is the wood's original finish. What is left of the finish on the top and outside edge is very thin and down to the wood in many places. The inside edge still has a reasonable gloss black finish on it. I would think that they would have used the steam press before painting it black. Maybe they painted it while it was still hot off of the press. I bought it for Rob Williams so that he could put it on his 735 Roadster. I have no doubt that this is a Stanley steering wheel. My doubt is what all years that Stanley had used a black wood steering wheel? Art Hart and others say that the 1910 and 1911 noncondensing cars had black steering wheel wood. I have not personally found any proof to back this up. If they all were painted black, then I have four noncondensing cars that need to have their steering wheel wood painted back to black. Our 1922 735 B may need the black painted wood too. I need to know for sure.</HTML>

Date: August 09, 2004 02:11AM

<HTML>Our 1909 has an original 1909 Model R steering wheel and when I refinished it, I could not find any trace of black paint on it.</HTML>

Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: August 09, 2004 10:05AM

<HTML>My 1910, 10 HP touring is Black; 1920 735 - black; 1923 touring -Black. All are believed to be original finish.</HTML>

Date: August 22, 2004 02:02AM

<HTML>Looks like my steering wheels from 1909 through 1922 are going to become black. Thank you for the help. It is much appreciated.</HTML>

Posted by: ron parola (IP Logged)
Date: October 02, 2004 10:17PM

<HTML>As far as I can tell my 1922's wheel was black, paint's pretty faded and worn off by now , but I like it like that Cheers Rp</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.