SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Steam Stutz?
Posted by: steamerjon (IP Logged)
Date: August 16, 2004 06:12AM

<HTML>~~been steam-dreaming away again, of putting together a steam car which is in appearance similar to a Mercer Race-about or Stutz Bear-cat open roadster circa 1910, with the steam engine up front and visible. the problem is, i'm having trouble finding a picture of these cars. i would appreciate a helpful direction. thanks so much.

john fehn</HTML>

Re: Steam Stutz?
Posted by: Graeme Vagg (IP Logged)
Date: August 16, 2004 09:08AM

<HTML>John,

I would build something like this. How many steamers do you want?
[www.stutzbearcat.com]

Graeme</HTML>

Date: August 17, 2004 08:44PM

<HTML>John,

Here is a better picture of a Stutz with the ultimate accessory that every steam car should have for traffic driving.
[www.barrett-jackson.com]

Graeme</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: August 22, 2004 10:35PM

<HTML>LOL! Street-legal in some parts of the USA anyway! Alas, only "Der Governator" is allowed this accessory in California ... has to be a steam Hummer tho ... :)

Peter</HTML>

Posted by: Garry Hunsaker (IP Logged)
Date: August 23, 2004 01:39PM

<HTML>Hmmm... Unless you plan on setting on the boiler, you might need to lengthen that hood a bit to fit both engine and boiler in there. Which works with the Stutz. It always looked a bit close coupled up front to me. Then I keep forgetting what huge cars these were, with something like a four hundred cubic inch four cylinder engine driving the beast.

This could be fun. That body could be built with not much more than some shears and a good sheet metal break. Build a two cylinder V large enough its cylinders stick out through the removed side sections of the hood. Polish and Chrome everything in the engine compartment, and take it your local hot rod gathering. Hmmm, a hot rod that looks like it has been created out of a 1910 Stutz... Just don’t let Jay Leno see it, he’d probably want one too.

Check with your local hobby shop. There used to be several plastic models of the Bear Cat. I seem to remember one of them being over two feet long, but that’s been thirty some years ago.

Garry</HTML>

Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: August 24, 2004 10:36AM

<HTML>We have a 22 Stutz Touring. The 4 Cylinder engine is huge - a "T" head, with 16 valves, and duel ignition - the Cyl. head is 10" to 12" wide!

My children have a battery powered, pastic bodied Bear Cat that is quite detailed and is 3 to 4" long.

Perhaps you could incoperate the boiler into the round gas tank beheind the seat!</HTML>

Date: August 24, 2004 05:19PM

<HTML>Howard,

Am pleased to hear you have the real thing. What are the overall dimensions (max length, width and height) of the engine?

I think you could package a new steam plant into something like this quite easily. A rear mounted boiler would certainly give more options under the hood and you still need water and fuel capacity. I could live with something like this with a steam system hidden inside. It would not need to be the same size, just something that had a similar shape or appearance using a later design chassis and running gear.

Graeme</HTML>

Date: September 05, 2004 11:28AM

<HTML>John,

I found a picture of a Mercer Raceabout last night. It is beautifully restored and offered for sale with a number of historic vehicles (including a 1914 Stanley Steamer - Lot 762) with the Wiglesworth Collection on 18 September 2004. Several Stutz vehicles are also included in the auction.
[www.butterfields.com]

Graeme</HTML>

Posted by: steamerjon (IP Logged)
Date: September 26, 2004 07:00AM

<HTML>~~graeme: thanks much for the stutz and mercer photos. side by side the two cares are so very similar. interesting. tks again.

john fehn,
hungary</HTML>

Date: September 26, 2004 10:11AM

<HTML>I have not had a chance to measure the engine , hope to do it today.

FYI, I learned yesturday that the Mercer sold for just over a million, the Stutz for way, way less!</HTML>

Date: September 27, 2004 12:16AM

<HTML>Howard,

Thanks for the auction result. The high price for the Mercer was not unexpected in view of its history and condition. Rare classics have gone for very high prices in recent weeks.

Just think what your unique 2005 steamer will be worth in about 90 years time? Arrange for coming generations to make something special every 10 years or so to fund on-going retirements or more steamers. This could be self funding if done right.

Graeme</HTML>

Date: September 27, 2004 09:27AM

<HTML>I roughly measured the Stutz engine compartment :

1. dash to back of radiator = 36" long

2. width from approx. 25" at radiator to 30" at dash.

3. height from top of frame rail to hood support aprox. 28"</HTML>

Date: September 27, 2004 11:57AM

<HTML>Howard,

Many thanks for those engine compartment measurements. They are quite generous by modern car (v8 or In Line 6 engine) standards with about 4 inches more on each dimension, excluding any additional space below the rails. Thus typical designs I could use in such a body size would allow the whole power plant to be placed under the hood.

Graeme</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.