SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
1903 Prescott
Posted by: N Howell (IP Logged)
Date: September 07, 2004 07:47AM

<HTML>Does anyone know about Ken Campbell's 1903 Prescott? Because surely it is a Toledo not a Prescott. The photo on page 13 shows a Toledo so maybe the caption is wrong. I can't believe that the two makes could look tha same.</HTML>

Re: 1903 Prescott
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: September 08, 2004 02:50AM

<HTML>Dear N Howell, I believe that you are correct in your identification of the Toledo. The references that I have show the 1903 Prescott with a body more like a Locomobile. The Prescott Steam car was built from 1901 through 1905 As standard equipment on the $1,000 Prescott, was a steam operated air pump for inflating the tires. I will send John Woodson a 1903 Prescott photo for posting on the Website. SSsssteamer</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: September 08, 2004 09:15AM

<HTML>Hi,,,The Toledo engine was quite different ,,had sort of closed rod case,,,the Prescott engine had a funny rod frame similar to Mason,rods and bronze castings,,,,as I recall it was made by Ed Clark over on Freeport st,,Boston,,,the drop front was patn'td by a fellow in Newburyport,,,,similar to Stanley ,,,but different,,,while the Stanley was a copy of the Chauncey Thomas folding seat,, Owls Head Museum has a Prescott on display,,,and Mr Prescott here in Maine also has one,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: September 08, 2004 07:36PM

<HTML>Coburn,
Your encyclopedic memory always astounds me, your remembrance of such minute detail most amazing---wish I had half your mind!
In awe, George</HTML>

Posted by: Nick Howell (IP Logged)
Date: September 09, 2004 08:13AM

<HTML>Thanks to all for the replies; I did not think the photo on page 13 of this web site was of a Prescott. I will try and post a photo of my Toledo to join the others--but then you all know what it will look like already!</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: September 09, 2004 12:35PM

<HTML>The 1903 Prescott has been posted by John Woodson at [stanleysteamers.com];

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.