SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
White Serial Numbers/Vintage
Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: September 25, 2004 10:40AM

<HTML>I am trying to date a White 20HP Steam Car. Where is the serial number or other definative info. found that would assist in identifying the year of manufacture? Any other distinguishing features that indicate age/year of mfg.? Is there a list of Serial Number vs. Date of manufacture.

Thanks for any help.</HTML>

Re: White Serial Numbers/Vintage
Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: September 25, 2004 03:40PM

<HTML>Howard,
The serial number is on the plate on the dash, unless someone stole it.
Check the engine number, if it says O it is 1909, if it says OO it is 1910.
If the pump drive is via an eccentric on the rear of the engine, it is 1910, if it is by linkage inside the engine, it is 1909.
JC</HTML>

Date: September 25, 2004 11:06PM

<HTML>Thank you Jim!</HTML>

Date: September 26, 2004 10:06AM

<HTML>Dear Jim: Sorry to display my ignorance of these wonderful machines. That said, where on the motor will we find the engine number? Please understand that the car is in one state, I am in another1000 mile away, and it is the blind leading the blind!</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: September 26, 2004 02:46PM

<HTML>Howard,
The serial number is on the dash plate.

The engine serial number is on the right front corner of the crankcase, right below the stanchion that holds the cylinders to the case. Big letters and numbers.

The year's serial number, White used three numbers, is stamped on the left axle tube right next to where it connects to the actual differential. Look under the car straight at the left axle housing from the rear. It may be covered with paint and you will have to brush it off to read the number. The gear ratio is also stamped there.
Jim</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.