SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Sponsor Speed Racer?
Posted by: Francis Church 111 (IP Logged)
Date: October 14, 2004 06:03AM

<HTML>Fellow steamers would anyone out there be interested in Sponsoring a USofA attempt at LSR for steam powered cars? I'm in the process of building a 1987 Pontiac Fiero into a laker and I need some monetary asistance. My interest is in a boiler I've developed and I need money for futher developement and no one will speak to a Stanley Man. So I figure to hook one of my simple boilers to a 19in Skinner Power Systems Turbine modified and let it exhaust to the ground install it into the car modified for the salt. and see if I can capture the LSR set by the Mr. Crank and Barber/Nicholes. If I run as fast as I believe 250MPH plus, I'll give the Brits something to shoot at. Also maybe someone will bankroll my futher devepment of the new boiler. I believe there is a future in steam power. I'm trying to develope a steam powered Hybrid system for Automobiles as an alternative fuel and ecological sanity. Well for those who are interested and want more info send a SASE to Francis Church 25630 Eaton St. Barstow Ca. 92311. those who want to donate $20.00 or more send that to the precedeing address and I will send to you a personalised email letter with pictures and other information pertinate to your donation including Salt flat Highlights. For those of you who are juct curious keep and eye on this address because I will write blow by blow discriptions of what's up with the project. Thank you for reading this far. Frank</HTML>

Re: Sponsor Speed Racer?
Posted by: ArnoldWalker (IP Logged)
Date: October 14, 2004 09:31PM

<HTML>Was not aware of Skinner Engine Company doing turbines.
Compound uniflows maybe,but turbines?</HTML>

Date: October 15, 2004 06:35AM

<HTML>Arnold, Hi, yes "Skinner Power Systems" Produce Steam turbines. They produce turbines for Power systems not normally auto use but I'm told they have put one of their turbines in a Chrysler for a customer and that is one of the ways I found them. They can be found at www.skinnerpowersystems.com at 814 868 8500 if you call talk to Jeff Skonieczki. In its stock form this turbine is very heavy and needs a diet. Jeff in a conversation said that a 19in wheel spinning at 80k to 85k rpm could very possibly produce 900 to 1000hp at 7000rpm with the proper planetary gear set. Thanks for the interest I hope you are interested enough to send at least a $20.00 donation and I will send to you an email letter outlining all the paticuliars on the cars construction including pictures of the disassenbly and construction also pictures of next years assault on the salt. Included will be all the juicy failures.-Frank</HTML>

Posted by: David Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: October 17, 2004 11:23AM

<HTML>I am sorry to report that Skinner has been in bankruptcy for about a year. There is no hope whatever of getting any steam machinery from them at this point.</HTML>

Date: October 17, 2004 08:53PM

<HTML>David- Hi! Yes "Skinner Power Systems" (814 868 8500) are alive and well and produce steam turbines not necessarily the car varity. But that isn't necessarily my concern. My problems are fielding a steam car that will turn in the speeds I said in my preceding correspondance and building a boiler that will produce enough steam to power it. I believe I can do both and the guys from Barstow will succeed. Thanks for the interest I hope you are interested enough to send a least a $20.00 donation and I will send you an email letter outlining all the paticuliars on the cars construction including pictures of the disassembly and construction also pictures of next years assoult on the salt. included will be all the juicy failures. -Frank</HTML>

Date: October 18, 2004 11:25AM

<HTML>Fellow Steamers, a post scrip to what I said about the Brit's is at this web site [www.steamcar.co.uk] -frank</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.