SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley Guage Identification
Posted by: John Shedleski (IP Logged)
Date: December 11, 2004 05:04PM

<HTML>Hello All
I have had this guage for a number of years and I don't know what it is. it reads Stanley Motor Carriage Co. Newton Mass. and reads from 0-600 psi. In script below the center it reads "the Ashton Valve Co. Boston Mass. 99 168</HTML>

Re: Stanley Guage Identification
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: December 12, 2004 02:46AM

<HTML>It was made in 1906 and it was the boiler pressure gauge in a Stanley steam car and it probably meaures 2 1/2" across the back.</HTML>

Posted by: John Shedleski (IP Logged)
Date: December 12, 2004 11:59AM

<HTML>Do you know what model it would be appropriate for? I'm looking to sell this guage. Do you have any idea what it is worth and do you have a suggestion where would be the best place to promote it?

Regards John
johnshedleski@cs.com</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2004 04:02PM

<HTML>Sell it on eBay under the heading "Stanley Steamer car steam gauge. Don't worry about what it is worth, on eBay with their world wide market of bidders, they will get you the top price. For prices, you can check on eBay for their history on past Stanley gauge sales. Take good bright photos of the gauge to post with its presentation. Pollish the tarnish off of the body but do not pollish the gauge dial. The silver plate will vanish in a couple of wipes with the pollishing cloth. I have cleaned the gauge faces successfully with soap and water making the face brighter and not loosing the silver plating. If the gauge glass is broken, it will take about 30 % off of the full price.</HTML>

Date: December 14, 2004 02:11PM

<HTML>I see that you have now listed your 600 pound gauge on eBay. That particular gauge configuratioon was used from about 1905 through 1914. It's serial number indicates that it was made in 1906. The out side body was originally nickel plated, not silver plated as you stated. The gauge face I see has recently been pollished through the silver plating down to the brass. That happens too fast and it happens before you realize how fragile it was. You should have pollished the tarnish off the outside of the gauge case instead and taken a well lighted close up of the gauge. The leather strap connected to the pipe threads detracks from your presentation. I wish you the best.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.