SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Boiler Layup
Posted by: Harry Hibler (IP Logged)
Date: December 16, 2004 06:05AM

<HTML>I would like to hear a discussion of pros and cons of winter boiler layup methods.

1. Boiler blown down and kept "dry" during layup. If in an unheated space and the boiler is vented to the atmosphere, is condensation an issue?

2. Boiler kept completely full of water. Obviously in a space where freezing is not an concern. Deionized water. Proper pH.

3. Boiler blown down, purged with dry gas such as nitrogen to dry completely, then pressurized with 10-15 psi dry gas and sealed. With pressure gauge on the system you can periodically verify system is sealed.

4. Other methods?</HTML>

Re: Boiler Layup
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: December 16, 2004 12:59PM

<HTML>Harry
On one of my boat boilers, steel with copper tubes, I use to fill it with Preston every year, but it was a time consuming clean out in the spring, as it would foam for three or four cycles. The boiler is still good and can be hydro for 1000 PSI. Thirty years old.
Now with my all steel boilers I blow down hot, use the air compressor on lines and fittings, pumps ect. On the boat boilers I put wicks in the mud drums till there dry. Then on all my boilers I back fill with nitrogen, No pressure. I put a candle under a valve at the top and when the nitrogen spills out it puts out the candle. Then I close it up tight. No oxygen no corrosion on the inside. I keep the out side dry and clean. No foaming in the spring.
I have learned over the years to install tee fitting with plug at all the low points. I did this installing my new Derr in the car. I also installed a screen trap before the engine.
Rolly</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.