SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Speedometer decal for 740
Posted by: Dick Tombrink (IP Logged)
Date: January 04, 2005 02:47PM

<HTML>The decal on the back of the glass of my speedomoter has deteriorated and I need to replace it. I can have a local sign shop make another decal but some of the words/dates are missing on mine. It is a Van Sicklein (?) and has three patent dates on the bottom 2-19-18, ?-11-18 and 8-26-19. It looks like there may be letters under Van Sicklein, maybe 'USA'? Can someone confirm that it is a Van Sicklein, if there is any letters under the name Van Sicklein, and supply the missing month for the patent date? The rest of the words, 'Miles per hour', 'Gross', and 'Trip' are legible. Thanks for your help.</HTML>

Re: Speedometer decal for 740
Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: January 05, 2005 01:26AM

<HTML>Hi,,VanSicklein was I think is used on Cadilac of same vintage,,,Maybee they have ideas..Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: January 05, 2005 03:53AM

<HTML>Dear Dick, I just checked my Stanley's speedometer and it is as follows... Van Sicklein, (next line) U.S.A., (next line) Patend, (next line) 2-19-18 5-11-18 8-26-19</HTML>

Posted by: David Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: January 05, 2005 12:14PM

<HTML>I have what may be an older Van Sicklen. Above speed dial: "MILES PER HOUR" Above odometers: "GROSS" and "TRIP" Near bottom: "VAN SICKLEN-ELGIN", next line, smaller print: "USA". In a curved line at the bottom, still smaller print: "PATENTS PENDING".
Note spelling: Van Sicklen, no second I.</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: January 05, 2005 02:03PM

<HTML>Thank you Dave. You are more correct than me. Apparently my night time brain wasn't fully awake. And I didn't want to spent anymore time standing out in my cold steamer shed than possible. It's 21 degrees outside. Ben in Maine is probably that much below zero. Ice skating tonight. :-) Snow for tomorrow.</HTML>

Date: January 10, 2005 03:14PM

<HTML>Thanks for taking the time to brave the cold to look at your speedometers for me. I appreciate your efforts. It has been cold in Montana, was -8 last night, but not much snow. Fortunately my Stanley is kept in a heated shop.</HTML>

Posted by: David Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: January 12, 2005 01:49PM

<HTML>My Van Sicklen isn't out in the cold. That one is a Stewart! Should I try to take a digital photo of it to send you?</HTML>

Date: January 31, 2005 02:32AM

<HTML>Thank you David for the offer. But I have all the info I need to get the decal. Sorry to not get back to you earlier, but I have not checked the phorum lately. I did get a decal made, and it turned out real good. The only problem it that the trip and gross windows are too high. But the decal guy can correct that. I will take it back to him the next time I am in Billings.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.