SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
My 1906 10hp Surrey
Posted by: Henry Horrocks (IP Logged)
Date: January 23, 2005 01:30AM

<HTML>Back in the 60's I owned a 1906 10hp Surrey, black in color. It was restored by Carl Amsley from an original car that came from somewhere in southwest Virginia.

I had the car for about four years and sold it to a Bob Gregory from Colorado.

I believe it was a fairly rare car, and am wondering if anyone on the forum has any knowledge of it.

Thanks

Henry Horrocks</HTML>

Re: My 1906 10hp Surrey
Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: January 23, 2005 12:54PM

<HTML>Do you know the make or model,, There were over 125 makes of steamers and 2200+ makes of cars in US , Ben</HTML>

Date: January 23, 2005 08:46PM

<HTML>Oh, sorry, I just assumed people would know it was a Stanley.

It was a 10hp, and I _thought_ the model was DX, but looking on the list of models here it says the 1906 Surrey was a model D.

Have forgotten the serial #.

Thanks

Henry

you can see a photo at

[home.comcast.net];

Date: January 23, 2005 11:36PM

<HTML>As far as I know[ or recall] there are 2 model dx left,,one tiller steer,, the other is steering wheel,,,The tiller went abroad,,but was here in NewEngland in the 1950s,,The other one is awaiting a loving restoration/conservation,,,, so yours would be indeed rare,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: January 23, 2005 11:40PM

<HTML>The suffex X indicates oversize boiler,,same as B BX C CX etc.. Ben</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: January 24, 2005 11:26AM

<HTML>Ben,
You are a goldmine of infrmation---never knew that about the "X" in the different models. Stay warm, its almost freezing down hear!! ;o) .

George</HTML>

Date: January 28, 2005 06:26PM

<HTML>Thanks for the responses. I dimly recall the boiler was 18" (could be wrong here).

Anyway, the intent of my post was to see if any of you had seen the car, or knew what happened to it.

It was a National FIrst Prize Winner, so probably is still out there somewhere. One clue might be the person I sold it to which was a Bob Gregory from ?Berthoud Colorado. He was the heir to a Spice company family fortune.

I had a ton of fun with the car, drove it to Canada from Niagara Falls when the spring AACA meet was there in 1964. It was a willing friend - albeit requiring constant minor attention - Yes, I konw, they're all like that <grin>

Can anyone suggest any sources where I might pursue this?</HTML>

Date: January 28, 2005 06:30PM

<HTML>By the way, my email is Henry.Horrocks@comcast.net and phone # is 410-343-1117.

In case anyone prefers off-forum communication.

Thanks again

Henry</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.