SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Differences between Amirican and Australian 740's
Posted by: Ian Vinton (IP Logged)
Date: March 06, 2005 09:35PM

<HTML>I have heard of two australian 740 steam cars that have nickel plated condenser covers. But I have not heard of any in American !
Is this a marketting ploy for Australia ? Historically important point !

Big question is ? Are there any changes to the 740, or earlier cars, between America and other countries.
One for the record is: I heard, England would not allow cars on the road unless they condensed their steam, so as not to annoy the horse !

Any facts ! Are important.

Ian V</HTML>

Re: Differences between Amirican and Australian 740's
Posted by: Don Eckel (IP Logged)
Date: March 08, 2005 01:25AM

<HTML>My 740 has a nickel plated condenser covers. I believe it always did have that.
The very early light steam power magazines show Stanley cars assembled in England. They are condensing as well as non- condensing types.
I have found that the burner sound seems to be more annoying to animals then the sound of the engine. I have coasted by many an animal with the main burner lit but no steam being fed to the engine!</HTML>

Re: Differences between Amirican and Australian 740's
Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: March 16, 2005 01:46PM

<HTML>English law prohibited all vehicles from emitting "any visible smoke or vapor". Temporary or accidental emissions were allowed. As a result, early Locomobiles imported to England were fitted with condensers, which simply dribbled the condensate on the road!
Stanley condenser shells were usually painted to match the body, but plated shells were an extra cost option.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.