SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
design and manufacture of steam car
Posted by: laurent (IP Logged)
Date: May 06, 2005 09:49AM

<HTML>Hello, i 'm a studentand
I design a car who must look like a steam car,and i research siZe to design it on DAO and a supplier for make is after.
Looking forward to seeing you soon.</HTML>

Re: design and manufacture of steam car
Posted by: Bill Gatlin (IP Logged)
Date: May 07, 2005 06:12PM

<HTML>Laurent,

Glad to see your intrest in steam car design. Design considerations for a steam car auto body are a little different than for a standard IC engined car.

A few of the things I have looked at and mulled over:

A modern steam car to be put in production would need to make a great impression on the public and stand out from the rest as a work of quality. It would have to be a classic shape without being a copy of anything. Most steam engines could be made to run a very long time with little maintainance and the reliability would be phenominal.

Many modern cars of quality seem to try to separate the driver and passengers from the driving experience as much as possible. In some cars driving them seems more like a video game played in the comfort and quiet of ones living room, with all the electronic do-dads and even back seat television. I think that is a bad way to go. A steam car is naturally quiet and doesn't need so much other than to insulate it from road noise. It should be designed as a "fun to drive" car.

Since it would be first of limited production and echo high quality and very long life, the body material of choice would be fibreglass or an ABS plastic. This also gives a lot of design flexibility, and allows a smaller shop the abilities to produce it.

A steam engined car requires a larger engine compartment that many modern IC car bodies provide. Many of the older automobiles did have quite a bit more engine to passenger/cargo space than modern cars do. I personally would like to see something set up like an old Ford woody station wagon of around the fortys to fiftys vintage. This would be both classy and fun and allow enough room for the engine, generator, and condenser. It would also have enough passenger room and not be terribly heavy.

I think that such a car would do well with rear wheel drive, using an independent suspention with an integral planetary gear providing two speeds, reverse, neutral, and limited slip for icy conditions.

A modern steam engine car should be great for around town driving because of it's inate advantages over an IC engine in these conditions of stop & go. Therefore I see little need for excessive airodynamic considerations for a first production run.

Hopfully these are some ideas to get you started.

Bill G.</HTML>

steam car best
Posted by: naveed (IP Logged)
Date: May 20, 2005 07:14AM

<HTML>plz show me beautifull cars & latest model.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.